1605 Gilman Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-3521
- Elucidation of the structure, dynamics, orientation of membrane peptides and proteins
- Antimicrobial peptide structure and function
- Influenza M2 proton channel structure and dynamics
- Structure of polysaccharides in plant cell walls and other complex biomaterials
- Development of high-resolution solid-state NMR techniques for structure determination of biological macromolecules
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 1996
- B.A. Chemistry, summa cum laude, Mount Holyoke College, 1992
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2007 - 2010 John D. Corbett Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2005 - present Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 2003 - 2005 Associate Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2003 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Iowa State University
- 1997 - 1999 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Founders Medal, International Council on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems
- 2010 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2007 John D. Corbett Professorship
- 2007 Iowa State University Mid-Career Research Award
- 2006 Agnes Fay Morgan Research Award, Iota Sigma Pi
- 2004 Mary Lyon Award, Mount Holyoke College
- 2003 Early Achievement in Research/Artistic Creativity Award, Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- 2003 American Chemical Society Pure Chemistry Award
- 2002 Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow
- 2001 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 2000 Research Corporation Innovation Award
- 1999 Beckman Young Investigator Award
- 1998 National Science Foundation POWRE Award
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Wang T; Park Y B; Caporini M A; Rosay M; Zhong L H; Cosgrove D J; Hong M . 2013. Sensitivity-enhanced solid-state NMR detection of expansin's target in plant cell walls. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 110:16444-16449.
2012Wang T; Zabotina O; Hong M . 2012. Pectin-Cellulose Interactions in the Arabidopsis Primary Cell Wall from Two-Dimensional Magic-Angle-Spinning Solid-State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Biochemistry. 51:9846-9856.
Schmidt-Rohr K; Fritzsching K J; Liao S Y; Hong M . 2012. Spectral editing of two-dimensional magic-angle-spinning solid-state NMR spectra for protein resonance assignment and structure determination. Journal of Biomolecular NMR. 54:343-353.
Dick-Perez M; Wang T; Salazar A; Zabotina O A; Hong M . 2012. Multidimensional solid-state NMR studies of the structure and dynamics of pectic polysaccharides in uniformly C-13-labeled Arabidopsis primary cell walls. Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry. 50:539-550.
Harris D M; Corbin K; Wang T; Gutierrez R; Bertolo A L; Petti C; Smilgies D M; Estevez J M; Bonetta D; Urbanowicz B R; Ehrhardt D W; Somerville C R; Rose J K C; Hong M; DeBolt S . 2012. Cellulose microfibril crystallinity is reduced by mutating C-terminal transmembrane region residues CESA1(A903V) and CESA3(T942I) of cellulose synthase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 109:4098-4103.
2011Dick-Perez M; Zhang Y A; Hayes J; Salazar A; Zabotina O A; Hong M . 2011. Structure and Interactions of Plant Cell-Wall Polysaccharides by Two- and Three-Dimensional Magic-Angle-Spinning Solid-State NMR. Biochemistry. 50:989-1000.