Mikhail I. Mendelev
207 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2795
- Phase Transformations:
- Molecular dynamics simulation of melting/solidification, vitrification/devitrification and solid-solid transformations
- Grain boundary and interface motion:
- Evaluation of the impurity drag effect
- Molecular dynamics simulation of grain boundary migration
- 2-d and 3-d Ising model for pure and impure systems
- Structure of Solid and Liquid Materials:
- Development of interatomic potentials suitable for describing liquid and crystalline metals including crystal defects and solid-liquid interface properties
- Computer simulation of the structure of non-crystalline materials
- Calculation of the partial pair potential functions from incomplete sets of diffraction data
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Solid and Liquid States:
- Evaluation of diffusion coefficients in solid, liquid and amorphous metals
- Calculation of mechanical properties
- Calculation of vibration spectra
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1995
- M.S. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1993
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2004 Research Staff, Princeton University
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Research Staff, Princeton University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Nam H S; Mendelev M I; Srolovitz D J . 2007. Solid-liquid phase diagrams for binary metallic alloys: Adjustable interatomic potentials. Physical Review B. 75:014204.
Mendelev M I; Han S W; Son W J; Ackland G J; Srolovitz D J . 2007. Simulation of the interaction between Fe impurities and point defects in V. Physical Review B. 76:214105.
Mendelev M I; Sordelet D J; Kramer M J . 2007. Using atomistic computer simulations to analyze x-ray diffraction data from metallic glasses. Journal of Applied Physics. 102:043501.
Mendelev M I; Ackland G J . 2007. Development of an interatomic potential for the simulation of phase transformations in zirconium. Philosophical Magazine Letters. 87:349-359.