Mikhail I. Mendelev
207 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2795
- Phase Transformations:
- Molecular dynamics simulation of melting/solidification, vitrification/devitrification and solid-solid transformations
- Grain boundary and interface motion:
- Evaluation of the impurity drag effect
- Molecular dynamics simulation of grain boundary migration
- 2-d and 3-d Ising model for pure and impure systems
- Structure of Solid and Liquid Materials:
- Development of interatomic potentials suitable for describing liquid and crystalline metals including crystal defects and solid-liquid interface properties
- Computer simulation of the structure of non-crystalline materials
- Calculation of the partial pair potential functions from incomplete sets of diffraction data
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Solid and Liquid States:
- Evaluation of diffusion coefficients in solid, liquid and amorphous metals
- Calculation of mechanical properties
- Calculation of vibration spectra
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1995
- M.S. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1993
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2004 Research Staff, Princeton University
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Research Staff, Princeton University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Mendelev M I; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2009. Determining strain in amorphous alloys: Uncertainties with analyzing structural changes during deformation. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:023509.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J . 2009. Molecular dynamics simulation of diffusion in supercooled Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 89:109-126.
2008Li M Z; Wang C Z; Mendelev M I; Ho K M . 2008. Molecular dynamics investigation of dynamical heterogeneity and local structure in the supercooled liquid and glass states of Al. Physical Review B. 77:184202.
Mendelev M I; Ott R T; Heggen M; Feuerebacher M; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2008. Deformation behavior of an amorphous Cu64.5Zr35.5 alloy: A combined computer simulation and experimental study. Journal of Applied Physics. 104:123532.
Fortini A; Mendelev M I; Buldyrev S; Srolovitz D . 2008. Asperity contacts at the nanoscale: Comparison of Ru and Au. Journal of Applied Physics. 104:074320.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Becker C A; Asta M . 2008. Analysis of semi-empirical interatomic potentials appropriate for simulation of crystalline and liquid Al and Cu. Philosophical Magazine. 88:1723-1750.
2007Krishnamurthy R; Srolovitz D J; Mendelev M I . 2007. Anomalous diffusion in dilute solid solutions. Acta Materialia. 55:5289-5296.
Morris J R; Mendelev M I; Srojovitz D J . 2007. A comparison of crystal-melt interfacial free energies using different Al potentials. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3565-3569.
Mendelev M I; Rehbein D K; Ott R T; Kramer M J; Sordelet D J . 2007. Computer simulation and experimental study of elastic properties of amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 102:093518.
Mendelev M I; Bokstein B . 2007. Molecular dynamics study of vacancy migration in Al. Materials Letters. 61:2911-2914.