Mikhail I. Mendelev
207 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2795
- Phase Transformations:
- Molecular dynamics simulation of melting/solidification, vitrification/devitrification and solid-solid transformations
- Grain boundary and interface motion:
- Evaluation of the impurity drag effect
- Molecular dynamics simulation of grain boundary migration
- 2-d and 3-d Ising model for pure and impure systems
- Structure of Solid and Liquid Materials:
- Development of interatomic potentials suitable for describing liquid and crystalline metals including crystal defects and solid-liquid interface properties
- Computer simulation of the structure of non-crystalline materials
- Calculation of the partial pair potential functions from incomplete sets of diffraction data
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Solid and Liquid States:
- Evaluation of diffusion coefficients in solid, liquid and amorphous metals
- Calculation of mechanical properties
- Calculation of vibration spectra
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1995
- M.S. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1993
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2004 Research Staff, Princeton University
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Research Staff, Princeton University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J; Besser M F; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Wessels V; Sahu K K; Kelton K F; Hyers R W; Canepari S; Rogers J R . 2010. Experimental and computer simulation determination of the structural changes occurring through the liquid-glass transition in Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 90:3795-3815.
Mendelev M I; Rahman M J; Hoyt J J; Asta M . 2010. Molecular-dynamics study of solid-liquid interface migration in fcc metals. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. 18:074002.
Hao S G; Wang C Z; Li M Z; Napolitano R E; Mendelev M I; Ho K M . 2010. Prediction of cooling rate dependent ordering in metallic glass transition using a two-state model. Computational Materials Science. 49:615-618.
Monk J; Yang Y; Mendelev M I; Asta M; Hoyt J J; Sun D Y . 2010. Determination of the crystal-melt interface kinetic coefficient from molecular dynamics simulations. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. 18:015004.
Mendelev M I; Bokstein B S . 2010. Molecular dynamics study of self-diffusion in Zr. Philosophical Magazine. 90:637-654.
2009Mendelev M I; Asta M; Rahman M J; Hoyt J J . 2009. Development of interatomic potentials appropriate for simulation of solid-liquid interface properties in Al-Mg alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 89:3269-3285.
Mendelev M I; Mishin Y . 2009. Molecular dynamics study of self-diffusion in bcc Fe. Physical Review B. 80:144111.
Mendelev M I; Rodin A O; Bokstein B S . 2009. Computer Simulation of Diffusion in Dilute Al-Fe Alloys. Diffusion in Materials - Dimat2008. 289-292:733-740791.
Ott R T; Mendelev M I; Besser M F; Kramer M J; Almer J; Sordelet D J . 2009. Strain dependence of peak widths of reciprocal- and real-space distribution functions of metallic glasses from in situ x-ray scattering and molecular dynamics simulations. Physical Review B. 80:064101.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Ott R T; Sordelet D J; Yagodin D; Popel P . 2009. Development of suitable interatomic potentials for simulation of liquid and amorphous Cu-Zr alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 89:967-987.