Mikhail I. Mendelev
207 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-2795
- Phase Transformations:
- Molecular dynamics simulation of melting/solidification, vitrification/devitrification and solid-solid transformations
- Grain boundary and interface motion:
- Evaluation of the impurity drag effect
- Molecular dynamics simulation of grain boundary migration
- 2-d and 3-d Ising model for pure and impure systems
- Structure of Solid and Liquid Materials:
- Development of interatomic potentials suitable for describing liquid and crystalline metals including crystal defects and solid-liquid interface properties
- Computer simulation of the structure of non-crystalline materials
- Calculation of the partial pair potential functions from incomplete sets of diffraction data
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Solid and Liquid States:
- Evaluation of diffusion coefficients in solid, liquid and amorphous metals
- Calculation of mechanical properties
- Calculation of vibration spectra
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1995
- M.S. Moscow Steel and Alloys Institute, Russia, 1993
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 2000 - 2004 Research Staff, Princeton University
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Research Staff, Princeton University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Mendelev M I; Deng C; Schuh C A; Srolovitz D J . 2013. Comparison of molecular dynamics simulation methods for the study of grain boundary migration. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. 21:045017.
Mendelev M I; King A H . 2013. The interactions of self-interstitials with twin boundaries. Philosophical Magazine. 93:1268-1278.
Moorthy S K E; Mendelev M I; Howe J M . 2013. The influence of spatial and temporal averaging on interpretation of HRTEM images of solid-liquid interfaces. Ultramicroscopy. 124:40-45.
2012Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Hao S G; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2012. Development of interatomic potentials appropriate for simulation of liquid and glass properties of NiZr2 alloy. Philosophical Magazine. 92:4454-4469.
Mendelev M I; Kramer M J; Hao S G; Ho K M; Wang C Z . 2012. Computer simulation of the structure of MZr2 liquid and amorphous alloys. Philosophical Magazine. 92:4098-4112.
Mendelev M I . 2012. Molecular dynamics simulation of solidification and devitrification in a one-component system. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. 20:045014.
2011Fang X W; Wang C Z; Hao S G; Kramer M J; Yao Y X; Mendelev M I; Ding Z J; Napolitano R E; Ho K M . 2011. Spatially Resolved Distribution Function and the Medium-Range Order in Metallic Liquid and Glass. Scientific Reports. 1:194.
Gordon P A; Neeraj T; Mendelev M I . 2011. Screw dislocation mobility in BCC Metals: a refined potential description for alpha-Fe. Philosophical Magazine. 91:3931-3945.
Mendelev M I; Rodin A O; Bokstein B S; Bokstein B S; Rodin A O; Straumal B B . 2011. Computer Simulation of Fe Diffusion in Liquid Al and along Al Grain Boundaries. Grain Boundary Diffusion, Stresses and Segregation, DSS 2010 Moscow. 309-310:223-230.
2010Kramer M J; Mendelev M I; Napolitano R E . 2010. In Situ Observation of Antisite Defect Formation during Crystal Growth. Physical Review Letters. 105:245501.