R. William McCallum
106 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-4736
- Magnetic and electronic properties of ternary rare earth compounds
- Permanent magnet materials
- Development of microstructure during rapid solidification processing
- High temperature superconductors
- Effect of microstructure on magnetic and superconducting properties
- Composite magnetostrictive materials
- Preparation pathways for novel materials
- Growth of single crystals of novel materials
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 1977 - 1978
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1977
- M.S. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1973
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Carleton College, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1986 - present Senior Materials Scientist, Ames Laboratory, USDOE, Iowa State University
- 1991 - present Adjunct Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1996 Director, Rare-earth Information Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 1987 - 1991 Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1986 Senior Research Physicist, Energy Conservation Devices, Troy, MI
- 1978 - 1982 Scientific Staff Member, Institut fur Festkorperforshung der Kernforschungsanlage Julich, Julich, West Germany.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1997 R&D 100 Award, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies, Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1996 STE Short Term Fellow International Superconductivity Technology Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 1995 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
- 1988 STE Short Term Fellow National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Kramer M J; Mecco H; Dennis K W; Vargonova E; McCallum R W; Napolitano R E . 2007. Rapid solidification and metallic glass formation - Experimental and theoretical limits. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 353:3633-3639.
Tan X; Wongmaneerung R; McCallum R W . 2007. Ferroelectric and magnetic properties of Pb(Fe2/3W1/3)O-3-based multiferroic compounds with cation order. Journal of Applied Physics. 102:104114.
Singh Y; McCallum R W; Johnston D C . 2007. Magnetic and thermal properties of the S=1/2 zig-zag spin-chain compound In2VO5. Physical Review B. 76:174402.
Tang W; Wu Y Q; Dennis K W; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2007. Comparison of microstructure and magnetic properties of gas-atomized and melt-spun MRE-Fe-Co-M-B (MRE = Y+Dy+Nd, M = Zr+TiC). Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09K510.
Wongmaneerung R; Tan X; McCallum R W; Ananta S; Yimnirun R . 2007. Cation, dipole, and spin order in Pb(Fe2/3W1/3)O-3-based magnetoelectric multiferroic compounds. Applied Physics Letters. 90:242905.
Wu D; Huang M; Lograsso T A; McCallum R W; Mozharivski Y; Llobet A . 2007. Determination of stoichiometry and site disorder in the complex intermetallics. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 441:206-213.
Yang N; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Kramer M J; Zhang Y; Lee P L . 2007. Critical bond lengths and their role in spontaneous magnetostriction of R2Fe17CX(R = Y, Nd, Gd, Tb, Er). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 311:630-638.