R. William McCallum
106 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-4736
- Magnetic and electronic properties of ternary rare earth compounds
- Permanent magnet materials
- Development of microstructure during rapid solidification processing
- High temperature superconductors
- Effect of microstructure on magnetic and superconducting properties
- Composite magnetostrictive materials
- Preparation pathways for novel materials
- Growth of single crystals of novel materials
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 1977 - 1978
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1977
- M.S. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1973
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Carleton College, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1986 - present Senior Materials Scientist, Ames Laboratory, USDOE, Iowa State University
- 1991 - present Adjunct Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1996 Director, Rare-earth Information Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 1987 - 1991 Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1986 Senior Research Physicist, Energy Conservation Devices, Troy, MI
- 1978 - 1982 Scientific Staff Member, Institut fur Festkorperforshung der Kernforschungsanlage Julich, Julich, West Germany.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1997 R&D 100 Award, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies, Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1996 STE Short Term Fellow International Superconductivity Technology Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 1995 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
- 1988 STE Short Term Fellow National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Ma C; Yan J Q; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Tan X . 2009. Size-dependent magnetic properties of high oxygen content YMn2O5 +/-delta multiferroic nanoparticles. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:033908.
Kreyssig A; Prozorov R; Dewhurst C D; Canfield P C; McCallum R W; Goldman A I . 2009. Probing Fractal Magnetic Domains on Multiple Length Scales in Nd2Fe14B. Physical Review Letters. 102:047204.
2008Schlagel D L; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Influence of solidification microstructure on the magnetic properties of Ni-Mn-Sn Heusler alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 463:38-46.
Janssen Y; Dennis K W; Prozorov R; Canfield P C; McCallum R W . 2008. Exotic (anti)ferromagnetism in single crystals of Pr6Ni2Si3. Physical Review B. 77:214407.
Yan J Q; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Kracher A; McQueeney R J; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I; Canfield P C . 2008. Structural transition and anisotropic properties of single-crystalline SrFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:024516.
Hill J M; McQueeney R J; Wu R; Dennis K; McCallum R W; Huang M; Lograsso T A . 2008. Low temperature heat capacity of Fe1-xGax alloys with large magnetostriction. Physical Review B. 77:014430.
Chumbley L S; Ugurlu O; McCallum R W; Dennis K W; Mudryk Y; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2008. Linear microstructural features in R-5(Si,Ge)(4)-type alloys: Difficulties in identification. Acta Materialia. 56:527-536.
Levin E M; Fang X W; Bud'ko S L; Straszheim W E; McCallum R W; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2008. Magnetization and C-13 NMR spin-lattice relaxation of nanodiamond powder. Physical Review B. 77:054418.
Wu D; Xing Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Magnetostriction of iron-germanium single crystals. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B307.
Schlagel D L; Yuhasz W M; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Temperature dependence of the field-induced phase transformation in Ni50Mn37Sn13. Scripta Materialia. 59:1083-1086.