R. William McCallum
106 Wilhelm Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-4736
- Magnetic and electronic properties of ternary rare earth compounds
- Permanent magnet materials
- Development of microstructure during rapid solidification processing
- High temperature superconductors
- Effect of microstructure on magnetic and superconducting properties
- Composite magnetostrictive materials
- Preparation pathways for novel materials
- Growth of single crystals of novel materials
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego, 1977 - 1978
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1977
- M.S. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 1973
- B.A. Mathematics and Physics, Carleton College, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1986 - present Senior Materials Scientist, Ames Laboratory, USDOE, Iowa State University
- 1991 - present Adjunct Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1992 - 1996 Director, Rare-earth Information Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
- 1987 - 1991 Adjunct Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering Dept., Iowa State University
- 1982 - 1986 Senior Research Physicist, Energy Conservation Devices, Troy, MI
- 1978 - 1982 Scientific Staff Member, Institut fur Festkorperforshung der Kernforschungsanlage Julich, Julich, West Germany.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1997 R&D 100 Award, Nanocrystalline Composite Coercive Magnet Powders
- 1996 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Significant Implication for DOE Related Technologies, Metallurgy and Ceramics
- 1996 STE Short Term Fellow International Superconductivity Technology Center, Tokyo, Japan
- 1995 DOE Materials Sciences Award, Sustained Outstanding Research in Solid State Physics
- 1988 STE Short Term Fellow National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Canfield P C; Caudle M L; Ho C S; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Kim M G; Lin X; Kracher A; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Goldman A I . 2010. Solution growth of a binary icosahedral quasicrystal of Sc12Zn88. Physical Review B. 81:020201.
2009Ma C; Yan J Q; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Tan X . 2009. Synthesis, thermal stability and magnetic properties of the Lu1-xLaxMn2O5 solid solution. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 182:3013-3020.
Yan J Q; Nandi S; Zarestky J L; Tian W; Kreyssig A; Jensen B; Kracher A; Dennis K W; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2009. Flux growth at ambient pressure of millimeter-sized single crystals of LaFeAsO, LaFeAsO1-xFx, and LaFe1-xCoxAsO. Applied Physics Letters. 95:222504.
Ma C; Yan J Q; Dennis K W; Llobet A; McCallum R W; Tan X . 2009. Effect of oxygen content on the magnetic properties of multiferroic YMn2O5+delta. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 21:346002.
McCallum R W; Yan J Q; Rustan G E; Mun E D; Singh Y; Das S; Nath R; Bud'ko S L; Dennis K W; Johnston D C; Canfield P C; Kramer M J; Kreyssig A; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I . 2009. In situ high energy x-ray synchrotron diffraction study of the synthesis and stoichiometry of LaFeAsO and LaFeAsO1-xFy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:123912.
Li J Y; Jensen T B S; Andersen N H; Zarestky J L; McCallum R W; Chung J H; Lynn J W; Vaknin D . 2009. Tweaking the spin-wave dispersion and suppressing the incommensurate phase in LiNiPO4 by iron substitution. Physical Review B. 79:174435.
Wu Y Q; Tang W; Kramer M J; Dennis K W; Oster N; McCallum R W; Anderson I E . 2009. Correlation of the energy product with evolution of the nanostructure in the Y,Dy,Nd-(Fe, Co)-B magnetic alloy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a720.
Yuhasz W M; Schlagel D L; Xing Q; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2009. Influence of annealing and phase decomposition on the magnetostructural transitions in Ni50Mn39Sn11. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a921.
Tang W; Wu Y Q; Dennis K W; Oster N T; Kramer M J; Anderson I E; McCallum R W . 2009. Magnetic properties and microstructure of gas atomized MRE2(Fe,Co)(14)B powder with ZrC addition (MRE=Nd plus Y plus Dy). Journal of Applied Physics. 105:07a728.
Niazi A; Bud'ko S L; Schlagel D L; Yan J Q; Lograsso T A; Kreyssig A; Das S; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Honecker A; McCallum R W; Reehuis M; Pieper O; Lake B; Johnston D C . 2009. Single-crystal growth, crystallography, magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity, and thermal expansion of the antiferromagnetic S=1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 79:104432.