Ames Laboratory Associate and Professor, Iowa State University
2220C Hoover Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-0738
Design and processing of bioceramics and hybrid materials, synthesis and processing of ceramic powders, solid-liquid, solid-gas interfaces in materials systems, processing of high temperature materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Post-doc Materials Sciences, Argonne National Laboratory, 1977
- Ph.D. Ceramic Engineering, Iowa State University, 1977
- M.S. Chemistry, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1973
- B.S. Chemistry, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1970
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2009 International Service Award, Iowa State University
- 2008 Fulbright Scholar, Fulbright Lectureship Award
- 2008 - 2011 Member, Board of Trustees, ASM International
- 2008 Fellow, ASM International
- 2006 Ross Coffin Purdy Award, American Ceramic Society
- 2006 - 2010 International Advisor, National Institute of Materials Science of Japan
- 2002 - 2004 Member, Executive Council, University Materials Council
- 2003 Member, European Academy of Sciences
- 2001 Faculty Citation, Iowa State University
- 1996 Fellow, American Ceramic Society
- 1992 - 1993 Liaison Scientist for Materials, ONR European Office
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Hu Y Y; Yusufoglu Y; Kanapathipillai M; Yang C Y; Wu Y Q; Thiyagarajan P; Deming T; Akinc M; Schmidt-Rohr K; Mallapragada S . 2009. Self-assembled calcium phosphate nanocomposites using block copolypeptide templates. Soft Matter. 5:4311-4320.
Wei X; Ugurlu O; Ankit A; Acar H Y; Akinc M . 2009. Dissolution behavior of Si,Zn-codoped tricalcium phosphates. Materials Science & Engineering C-Biomimetic and Supramolecular Systems. 29:126-135.
2008Tang Z H; Thom A J; Kramer M J; Akinc M . 2008. Characterization and oxidation behavior of silicide coating on multiphase Mo-Si-B alloy. Intermetallics. 16:1125-1133.
Tang Z H; Williams J J; Thom A J; Akinc M . 2008. High temperature oxidation behavior of Ti5Si3-based intermetallics. Intermetallics. 16:1118-1124.
Tang Z H; Kramer M J; Akinc M . 2008. Evaluation of phase equilibria in the Nb-rich portion of Nb-B system. Intermetallics. 16:255-261.
Yusufoglu Y; Hu Y; Kanapathipillai M; Kramer M; Kalay Y E; Thiyagarajan P; Akinc M; Schmidt-Rohr K; Mallapragada S . 2008. Bioinspired synthesis of self-assembled calcium phosphate nanocomposites using block copolymer-peptide conjugates. Journal of Materials Research. 23:3196-3212.
Yusufoglu Y; Akinc M . 2008. Deposition of Carbonated Hydroxyapatite (CO(3)HAp) on Poly(Methylmethacrylate) Surfaces by Decomposition of Calcium-EDTA Chelate. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 91:3147-3153.
Kanapathipillai M; Yusufoglu Y; Rawal A; Hu Y Y; Lo C T; Thiyaigarajan P; Kalay Y E; Akinc M; Mallapragada S; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2008. Synthesis and characterization of ionic block copolymer templated calcium phosphate nanocomposites. Chemistry of Materials. 20:5922-5932.
Yusufoglu Y; Akinc M . 2008. Effect of pH on the carbonate incorporation into the hydroxyapatite prepared by an oxidative decomposition of calcium-EDTA chelate. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 91:77-82.
2007Wei X; Ugurlu O; Akinc M . 2007. Hydrolysis of alpha-tricalcium phosphate in simulated body fluid and dehydration behavior during the drying process. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 90:2315-2321.