Thomas A. Lograsso
Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering
126 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8425
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions as applied to the processing
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research Program, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 – 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 – 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics Program, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 – present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 – present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Smerdon J A; Parle J K; Wearing L H; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; McGrath R . 2008. Nucleation and growth of a quasicrystalline monolayer: Bi adsorption on the fivefold surface of i-Al70Pd21Mn9. Physical Review B. 78:075407.
Wu D; Xing Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Magnetostriction of iron-germanium single crystals. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B307.
Stishov S M; Petrova A E; Khasanov S; Panova G K; Shikov A A; Lashley J C; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2008. Systematic study of the itinerant ferromagnet MnSi at ambient and high hydrostatic pressures. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 403:1347-1349.
Clark A E; Restorff J B; Wun-Fogle M; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2008. Temperature dependence of the magnetostriction and magnetoelastic coupling in Fe100-xAlx (x=14.1,16.6,21.5,26.3) and Fe50Co50. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B310.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2008. Magnetic domains in magnetostrictive Fe-Ga alloys. Applied Physics Letters. 93:182501.
Schlagel D L; Yuhasz W M; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Temperature dependence of the field-induced phase transformation in Ni50Mn37Sn13. Scripta Materialia. 59:1083-1086.
Sharma H R; Fournee V; Shimoda M; Ross A R; Lograsso T A; Gille P; Tsai A P . 2008. Growth of Bi thin films on quasicrystal surfaces. Physical Review B. 78:155416.
Cao H; Bai F M; Li J F; Viehland D D; Lograsso T A; Gehring P M . 2008. Structural studies of decomposition in Fe-x at.%Ga alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 465:244-249.
Mihalkovic M; Francoual S; Shibata K; De Boissieu M; Baron A Q R; Sidis Y; Ishimasa T; Wu D; Lograsso T; Regnault L P; Gahler F; Tsutsui S; Hennion B; Bastie P; Sato T J; Takakura H; Currat R; Tsai A P . 2008. Atomic dynamics of i-ScZnMg and its 1/1 approximant phase: Experiment and simulation. Philosophical Magazine. 88:2311-2318.
Pussi K; Reid D E; Ferralis N; McGrath R; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; Diehl R D . 2008. Low-energy electron diffraction (LEED) study of an aperiodic thin film of Cu on 5-fold i-Al-Pd-Mn. Philosophical Magazine. 88:2103-2110.