Thomas A. Lograsso
Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering
126 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8425
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions as applied to the processing
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research Program, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 – 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 – 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics Program, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 – present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 – present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Shukla A K; Dhaka R S; D'Souza S W; Singh S; Wu D; Lograsso T A; Krajci M; Hafner J; Horn K; Barman S R . 2009. Quasiperiodic layers of free-electron metals studied using electron diffraction. Physical Review B. 79:134206.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2009. A rapid method to correct objective lens astigmatism in a TEM. Ultramicroscopy. 109:287-290.
Petrova A E; Krasnorussky V N; Lograsso T A; Stishov S M . 2009. High-pressure study of the magnetic phase transition in MnSi. Physical Review B. 79:100401.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2009. Phase identification of quenched Fe-25at.% Ga. Scripta Materialia. 60:373-376.
Niazi A; Bud'ko S L; Schlagel D L; Yan J Q; Lograsso T A; Kreyssig A; Das S; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Honecker A; McCallum R W; Reehuis M; Pieper O; Lake B; Johnston D C . 2009. Single-crystal growth, crystallography, magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity, and thermal expansion of the antiferromagnetic S=1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 79:104432.
2008Schlagel D L; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2008. Influence of solidification microstructure on the magnetic properties of Ni-Mn-Sn Heusler alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 463:38-46.
Xing Q; Du Y; McQueeney R J; Lograsso T A . 2008. Structural investigations of Fe-Ga alloys: Phase relations and magnetostrictive behavior. Acta Materialia. 56:4536-4546.
Stishov S M; Petrova A E; Khasanov S; Panova G K; Shikov A A; Lashley J C; Wu D; Lograsso T A . 2008. Experimental study of the magnetic phase transition in the MnSi itinerant helimagnet. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics. 106:888-896.
Moya X; Manosa L; Planes A; Krenke T; Acet A; Wassermann E F; Morin M; Garlea V O; Lograsso T A; Zarestky J L . 2008. Lattice dynamics of Ni-Mn-Al Heusler alloys. Materials Science and Engineering a-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing. 481:227-230.
Samavat F; Gladys M J; Jenks C J; Lograsso T A; King B V; O'Connor D J . 2008. Study of preferential sputtering and segregation effects on the surface composition of Al-Pd-Mn quasi-crystals. Surface and Interface Analysis. 40:433-435.