Thomas A. Lograsso
Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering
126 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8425
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions as applied to the processing
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research Program, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 – 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 – 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics Program, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 – present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 – present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012D'Souza S W; Nayak J; Maniraj M; Rai A; Dhaka R S; Barman S R; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Chakrabarti A . 2012. Ni2MnGa(100) ferromagnetic shape memory alloy: A surface study. Surface Science. 606:130-136.
Restorff J B; Wun-Fogle M; Hathaway K B; Clark A E; Lograsso T A; Petculescu G . 2012. Tetragonal magnetostriction and magnetoelastic coupling in Fe-Al, Fe-Ga, Fe-Ge, Fe-Si, Fe-Ga-Al, and Fe-Ga-Ge alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 111:023905.
2011Li H F; Yan J Q; Kim J W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Vaknin D . 2011. Anisotropic magnetoelastic coupling in single-crystalline CeFeAsO as seen via high-resolution x-ray diffraction. Physical Review B. 84:220501.
Thiel P A; Unal B; Jenks C J; Goldman A I; Canfield P C; Lograsso T A; Evans J W; Quiquandon M; Gratias D; Van Hove M A . 2011. A Distinctive Feature of the Surface Structure of Quasicrystals: Intrinsic and Extrinsic Heterogeneity. Israel Journal of Chemistry. 51:1326-1339.
Khan M; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2011. Magnetic and thermal properties of Er(75)Dy(25) single crystals. Physical Review B. 84:134424.
Xing Q; Lograsso T A . 2011. Effect of cooling rate on magnetoelasticity and short-range order in Fe-Ga alloys. Scripta Materialia. 65:359-362.
Yan J-Q; Xing Q; Jensen B; Xu H; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2011. Contamination from Magnetic Starting Materials in Flux-grown Single Crystals of RFeAsO Superconductors. Physical Review B. 84:012501.
Young K M; Cross N; Smerdon J A; Dhanak V R; Sharma H R; Lograsso T A; Ross A R; McGrath R . 2011. XPS study of adsorption and desorption of a Bi thin film on the five-fold icosahedral Al-Pd-Mn surface. Philosophical Magazine. 91:2889-2893.
Storchak V G; Brewer J H; Lichti R L; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L . 2011. Electron localization into spin-polaron state in MnSi. Physical Review B. 83:140404.
Petculescu G; Ledet K L; Huang M; Lograsso T A; Zhang Y N; Wu R Q; Wun-Fogle M; Restorff J B; Clark A E; Hathaway K B . 2011. Magnetostriction, elasticity, and D0(3) phase stability in Fe-Ga and Fe-Ga-Ge alloys. Journal of Applied Physics. 109:07a904.