Thomas A. Lograsso
Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering
126 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8425
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions as applied to the processing
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research Program, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 – 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 – 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics Program, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 – present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 – present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Ouyang Z W; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2007. Field step size and temperature effects on the character of the magnetostructural transformation in a Gd5Ge4 single crystal. Physical Review B. 76:134406.
Bondino F; Brinkman A; Zangrando M; Carbone F; van der Marel D; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K; Parmigiani F . 2007. Experimental investigation of the electronic structure of Gd5Ge2Si2 by photoemission and x-ray absorption spectroscopy. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 19:186219.
Ring A P; Lograsso T; Schlagel D; Snyder J E; Jiles D C . 2007. Irreversible field induced magnetostriction at temperatures above and below the order-disorder transition in single crystal Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09C527.
Wu D; Lograsso T A; Anderegg J W . 2007. Migration, formation, and growth of pure Cd whiskers in Cd-based compounds. Journal of Electronic Materials. 36:555-561.
Cao G H; Shechtman D; Wu D M; Becker A T; Chumbley L S; Lograsso T A; Russell A M; Gschneidner K A . 2007. Determination of slip systems and their relation to the high ductility and fracture toughness of the B2DyCu intermetallic compound. Acta Materialia. 55:3765-3770.
Zou M; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2007. Crystallography, anisotropic metamagnetism, and magnetocaloric effect in Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Physical Review B. 75:024418.
Unal B; Fournee V; Schnitzenbaumer K J; Ghosh C; Jenks C J; Ross A R; Lograsso T A; Evans J W; Thiel P A . 2007. Nucleation and growth of Ag islands on fivefold Al-Pd-Mn quasicrystal surfaces: Dependence of island density on temperature and flux. Physical Review B. 75:064205.
Zarestky J L; Moze O; Lynn J W; Chen Y; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L . 2007. Spin-wave dispersion in magnetostrictive Fe-Ga alloys: Inelastic neutron scattering measurements. Physical Review B. 75:052406.
De Boissieu M; Francoual S; Mihalkovic M; Shibata K; Baron A Q R; Sidis Y; Ishimasa T; Wu D; Lograsso T; Regnault L P; Gahler F; Tsutsui S; Hennion B; Bastie P; Sato T J; Takakura H; Currat R; Tsai A P . 2007. Lattice dynamics of the Zn-Mg-Sc icosahedral quasicrystal and its Zn-Sc periodic 1/1 approximant. Nature Materials. 6:977-984.
Summers E M; Lograsso T A; Wun-Fogle M . 2007. Magnetostriction of binary and ternary Fe-Ga alloys. Journal of Materials Science. 42:9582-9594.