Thomas A. Lograsso
Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering
126 Metals Development
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-8425
- Solid-liquid phase equilibria
- Solid-solid phase interaction
- Quasicrystalline alloys
- Kinetics of phase transitions as applied to the processing
- Synthesis of single crystals of intermetallics, magneto-responsive alloys and compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1986
- M.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1983
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present Division Director of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2009 - 2010 Acting Program Director, Biological and Environmental Research Program, Ames Laboratory
- 2008 – 2010 Assistant Director of Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, Ames Laboratory
- 2007 – 2008 Program Director, Materials and Engineering Physics Program, Ames Laboratory
- 1993 - 2007 Director, Iowa Companies Assistance Program, Iowa State University
- 1995 – present Senior Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1993 – present Associate Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1995 Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1992 – 1993 Assistant to the Director, Materials Preparation Center, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1992 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2006 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Best Paper Award in Mechanics and Material Systems, ASME Aerospace Division
- 2005 Adaptive Structures and Material Systems Technical Committee
- 2003 Best Poster Award, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting
- 2000 Service Provider Impact Award, Iowa Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- 1998 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Materials Chemistry (with others)
- 1996 Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, Federal Laboratory Consortium
- 1995 U.S. Department of Energy Award for Sustained Outstanding Research - Solid State Physics (with others)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Singh S; Rawat R; Muthu S E; D'Souza S W; Suard E; Senyshyn A; Banik S; Rajput P; Bhardwaj S; Awasthi A M; Ranjan R; Arumugam S; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Chakrabarti A; Barman S R . 2012. Spin-Valve-Like Magnetoresistance in Mn2NiGa at Room Temperature. Physical Review Letters. 109:246601.
Nayak J; Maniraj M; Rai A; Singh S; Rajput P; Gloskovskii A; Zegenhagen J; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Horn K; Barman S R . 2012. Bulk Electronic Structure of Quasicrystals. Physical Review Letters. 109:216403.
Hadimani R L; Melikhov Y; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Jiles D C . 2012. Study of the Second-Order "Hidden" Phase Transition of the Monoclinic Phase in the Mixed Phase Region of Gd-5(SixGe1-x)(4). IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 48:4070-4073.
Liu Y; Xing Q; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A . 2012. Evolution of precipitate morphology during heat treatment and its implications for the superconductivity in KxFe1.6+ySe2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 86:144507.
Bao L H; He L; Meyer N; Kou X F; Zhang P; Chen Z G; Fedorov A V; Zou J; Riedemann T M; Lograsso T A; Wang K L; Tuttle G; Xiu F X . 2012. Weak Anti-localization and Quantum Oscillations of Surface States in Topological Insulator Bi2Se2Te. Scientific Reports. 2:726.
Li G; Grissonnanche G; Yan J Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Zhou H D; Balicas L . 2012. High superconducting anisotropy and weak vortex pinning in Co-doped LaFeAsO. Physical Review B. 86:054517.
Jiang R; Wang L L; Huang M L; Dhaka R S; Johnson D D; Lograsso T A; Kaminski A . 2012. Reversible tuning of the surface state in a pseudobinary Bi-2(Te-Se)(3) topological insulator. Physical Review B. 86:085112.
Du Y; Huang M; Lograsso T A; McQueeney R J . 2012. X-ray diffuse scattering measurements of chemical short-range order and lattice strains in a highly magnetostrictive Fe0.813Ga0.187 alloy in an applied magnetic field. Physical Review B. 85:214437.
Petculescu G; Lambert P K; Clark A E; Hathaway K B; Xing Q; Lograsso T A; Restorff J B; Wun-Fogle M . 2012. Temperature dependence of magnetoelastic properties of Fe100-xSix (5 < x < 20). Journal of Applied Physics. 111:07a921.
Mudryk Y; Singh N K; Pecharsky V K; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Gschneidner K A . 2012. Magnetic and structural properties of single-crystalline Er5Si4. Physical Review B. 85:094432.