0215A Hach Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6093
- Magnetic, electronic, and other properties of novel materials
- Complex alloys, intermetallics, silicides, germanides, tellurides, oxides, and rare-earth containing materials
- Thermoelectric phenomena and materials
- NMR spectroscopy of complex tellurides
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Sc.D. Habilitation Solid State Physics, Institute of Materials Research Problems, Kiev, Ukraine
- Ph.D. Solid State Physics, Lviv State University, Ukraine
- B.S. / M.S. with Honors, Lviv Technical University, Ukraine
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present, Scientist I & Lecturer, Ames Laboratory DOE & Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2002 - 2010, Associate Scientist & Lecturer, Ames Laboratory DOE & Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - 2002 Term Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 2001 Visiting Scientist, Associate Scientist,Ames Laboratory DOE, Iowa State University
- 1988 - 1998 Principal Investigator and Coordinator of scientific projects sponsored by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and Technology, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
- 1993 - 1998 Visiting Scientist (periodically) International Laboratory of High Magnetic Fields and Low Temperatures, Institute of Low Temperatures and Structural Research, Wroclaw, Poland
- 1986 - 1998 Head of Advanced Materials Laboratory, Chief Scientist, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
- 1974 - 1986 Researcher, Assistant Professor, Senior Scientist at the Department of Physics, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1991 Ukrainian Government grant in the field of new electronic materials
- 1984 Highest Ukrainian State Prize for research in physics of rare-earth-based materials
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Levin E M; Bud'ko S L . 2011. Bulk magnetization and H-1 NMR spectra of magnetically heterogeneous model systems. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 323:2355-2361.
Levin E M; Cook B A; Harringa J L; Bud'ko S L; Venkatasubramanian R; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2011. Analysis of Ce- and Yb-Doped TAGS-85 Materials with Enhanced Thermoelectric Figure of Merit. Advanced Functional Materials. 21:441-447.
2009Fang X; Mao J; Levin E M; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2009. Nonaromatic Core-Shell Structure of Nanodiamond from Solid-State NMR Spectroscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 131:1426-1435.
Levin E M . 2009. Antiferromagnet-ferromagnet transitions in Ge-rich Gd-5(SixGe(4-x)) alloys induced by composition, magnetic field, and temperature. Physical Review B. 80:144401.
Jaworski C M; Tobola J; Levin E M; Schmidt-Rohr K; Heremans J P . 2009. Antimony as an amphoteric dopant in lead telluride. Physical Review B. 80:125208.
Levin E M; Cook B A; Ahn K; Kanatzidis M G; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2009. Electronic inhomogeneity and Ag:Sb imbalance of Ag1-yPb18Sb1+zTe20 high-performance thermoelectrics elucidated by Te-125 and Pb-207 NMR. Physical Review B. 80:115211.
Hu Y Y; Levin E M; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2009. Broadband "Infinite-Speed" Magic-Angle Spinning NMR Spectroscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 131:8390-+.
2008Levin E M; Fang X W; Bud'ko S L; Straszheim W E; McCallum R W; Schmidt-Rohr K . 2008. Magnetization and C-13 NMR spin-lattice relaxation of nanodiamond powder. Physical Review B. 77:054418.
2007Cook B A; Kramer M J; Wei X; Harringa J L; Levin E M . 2007. Nature of the cubic to rhombohedral structural transformation in (AgSbTe2)(15)(GeTe)(85) thermoelectric material. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:053715.
Levin E M; Shand P M . 2007. Electronic and magnetic phase transitions in (Sm0.65Sr0.35)MnO3 induced by temperature and magnetic field. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 311:675-682.