2220C Hoover Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-1841
- Materials theory, modeling, and simulation
- Dislocation-based plasticity
- Biomolecular structure and dynamics
- Microstructural evolution
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Chemical Physics, Harvard University, 1981
- A.M. Physics, Harvard University, 1977
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Michigan, 1975
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Professor and Chair, Materials Science & Engineering Department, Iowa State University
- 2006 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA
- 1993 - 2006 Technical Staff Member and various management positions, Los Alamos
- 1993 - 2006 Adjunct Professor, Materials Department, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1987 - 1997 Affiliate Faculty Member, Department of Physics, Colorado State University
- 1989 Visiting Scientist, FOM-Institut voor Atoom en Molecuulfysica, Amsterdam
- 1988 - 1989 Visiting Associate Research Scientist and Lecturer, University of Michigan
- 1984 Distinguished Visiting Scientist, National Research Council of Canada
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2005 - present Member of the U. S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board
- 2004 Co-Chair of the Gordon Conference on Physical Metallurgy
- 2001 - present Member of the Editorial Board of the Annual Reviews of Materials Research
- 1999 - 2002 Editor of Computational Materials Science, Elsevier Press
- 1995 Associated Western Universities (AWU) Department of Energy Distinguished Lecturer, “Grand Challenges in Computational Materials Science.”
- 1985 NATO Travel Award
- 1974 Gomberg Prize in Chemistry, University of Michigan
- 1974 James B. Angell Scholar, University of Michigan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Bryden A; Broderick S; Suram S K; Kaluskar K; LeSar R; Rajan K . 2013. Interactive visualization of APT data at full fidelity. Ultramicroscopy. 132:129-135.
Royer Z L; Tackes C; LeSar R; Napolitano R E . 2013. Coil optimization for electromagnetic levitation using a genetic like algorithm. Journal of Applied Physics. 113:214901.
2012Zhou C Z; LeSar R . 2012. Dislocation dynamics simulations of the Bauschinger effect in metallic thin films. Computational Materials Science. 54:350-355.
Zhou C Z; LeSar R . 2012. Dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity in polycrystalline thin films. International Journal of Plasticity. 30-31:185-201.
2011Zhou C Z; Beyerlein I J; LeSar R . 2011. Plastic deformation mechanisms of fcc single crystals at small scales. Acta Materialia. 59:7673-7682.
2010Zhou C Z; Biner S; LeSar R . 2010. Simulations of the effect of surface coatings on plasticity at small scales. Scripta Materialia. 63:1096-1099.
Zhou C Z; Biner S B; LeSar R . 2010. Discrete dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity at small scales. Acta Materialia. 58:1565-1577.