David C. Johnston
A209 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-5435
- Synthesis and study of the thermal, transport and magnetic properties of high temperature superconductors, low-dimensional magnetic insulators, d-electron heavy fermion compounds, and other materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975
- B.A. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2000 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1991 Visiting Scientist, National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
- 1987 - 2000 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory USDOE
- 1978 - 1987 Scientific Staff, Corporate Research Laboratories Exxon Research and Engineering Company, Annandale, New Jersey
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Research Physicist, Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 - 1975 Research Assistant, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1968, 1969 Summers Researcher, Ford Scientific Laboratory, Dearborn, Michigan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2007 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 2007 Nominated "Outstanding Faculty Member", Interfraternity Council, Iowa State University, for being "a professor that excels in relating to their students while teaching effectively"
- 2004 Designated a "Highly Cited Researcher" for 1981-1999 inclusive by the Institute for Scientific Information
- 2000 Listed as one of the Institute for Scientific Information's "1120 Most Cited Physicists, (1981-June 1997)"
- 2000 Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1997 Iowa State University Foundation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 1995 - 1998 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 1995 Co-recipient, Annual Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, U.S. Department of Energy, "Investigation of Single Crystal RNi2B2C Magnetic Superconductors"
- 1993 Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity, Oxnard, CA, January 4-8
- 1991 Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists
- 1988 Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1969 - 1971 National Science Foundation Trainee, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 Graduation from University of California, Santa Barbara "With Highest Honors"
- 1967 - 1969 Regents' Scholar, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1967 Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Singh Y; Lee Y; Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Ellern A; Das S; Nath R; Harmon B N; Goldman A I; Johnston D C . 2008. Single-crystal growth and physical properties of the layered arsenide BaRh2As2. Physical Review B. 78:104512.
Zong X; Suh B J; Niazi A; Yan J Q; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A; Johnston D C . 2008. O-17 and V-51 NMR for the zigzag spin-1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 77:014412.
Zong X; Das S; Borsa F; Vannette M D; Prozorov R; Schmalian J; Johnston D C . 2008. Li-7 NMR study of heavy-fermion LiV2O4 containing magnetic defects. Physical Review B. 77:144419.
2007Suh B J; Zong X; Singh Y; Niazi A; Johnston D C . 2007. B-11 NMR in the layered diborides OsB2 and RuB2. Physical Review B. 76:144511.
Singh Y; McCallum R W; Johnston D C . 2007. Magnetic and thermal properties of the S=1/2 zig-zag spin-chain compound In2VO5. Physical Review B. 76:174402.
Singh Y; Johnston D C . 2007. Singlet ground state in the spin-1/2 dimer compound Sr3Cr2O8. Physical Review B. 76:012407.
Singh Y; Niazi A; Vannette M D; Prozorov R; Johnston D C . 2007. Superconducting and normal-state properties of the layered boride OsB2. Physical Review B. 76:214510.
Das S; Zong X; Niazi A; Ellern A; Yan J Q; Johnston D C . 2007. Crystallography, magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity, and electrical resistivity of heavy-fermion LiV2O4 single crystals grown using a self-flux technique. Physical Review B. 76:054418.
Zong X; Niazi A; Borsa F; Ma X; Johnston D C . 2007. Structure, magnetization, and NMR studies of the spin-glass compound (LixV1-x)(3)BO5 (x approximate to 0.40 and 0.33). Physical Review B. 76:054452.
Knoke G T; Niazi A; Hill J M; Johnston D C . 2007. Synthesis, structure, and ferromagnetism of the oxygen defect pyrochlore system Lu2V2O7-x (x=0.40-0.65). Physical Review B. 76:054439.