David C. Johnston
A209 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-5435
- Synthesis and study of the thermal, transport and magnetic properties of high temperature superconductors, low-dimensional magnetic insulators, d-electron heavy fermion compounds, and other materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975
- B.A. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2000 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1991 Visiting Scientist, National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
- 1987 - 2000 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory USDOE
- 1978 - 1987 Scientific Staff, Corporate Research Laboratories Exxon Research and Engineering Company, Annandale, New Jersey
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Research Physicist, Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 - 1975 Research Assistant, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1968, 1969 Summers Researcher, Ford Scientific Laboratory, Dearborn, Michigan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2007 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 2007 Nominated "Outstanding Faculty Member", Interfraternity Council, Iowa State University, for being "a professor that excels in relating to their students while teaching effectively"
- 2004 Designated a "Highly Cited Researcher" for 1981-1999 inclusive by the Institute for Scientific Information
- 2000 Listed as one of the Institute for Scientific Information's "1120 Most Cited Physicists, (1981-June 1997)"
- 2000 Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1997 Iowa State University Foundation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 1995 - 1998 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 1995 Co-recipient, Annual Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, U.S. Department of Energy, "Investigation of Single Crystal RNi2B2C Magnetic Superconductors"
- 1993 Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity, Oxnard, CA, January 4-8
- 1991 Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists
- 1988 Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1969 - 1971 National Science Foundation Trainee, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 Graduation from University of California, Santa Barbara "With Highest Honors"
- 1967 - 1969 Regents' Scholar, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1967 Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Das S; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Johnston D C . 2009. Absence of structural correlations of magnetic defects in the heavy-fermion compound LiV2O4. Physical Review B. 80:104401.
Singh Y; Green M A; Huang Q; Kreyssig A; McQueeney R J; Johnston D C; Goldman A I . 2009. Magnetic order in BaMn2As2 from neutron diffraction measurements. Physical Review B. 80:100403.
Hemmida M; von Nidda H A K; Buttgen N; Loidl A; Alexander L K; Nath R; Mahajan A V; Berger R F; Cava R J; Singh Y; Johnston D C . 2009. Vortex dynamics and frustration in two-dimensional triangular chromium lattices. Physical Review B. 80:054406.
McCallum R W; Yan J Q; Rustan G E; Mun E D; Singh Y; Das S; Nath R; Bud'ko S L; Dennis K W; Johnston D C; Canfield P C; Kramer M J; Kreyssig A; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I . 2009. In situ high energy x-ray synchrotron diffraction study of the synthesis and stoichiometry of LaFeAsO and LaFeAsO1-xFy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:123912.
Singh Y; Lee Y; Harmon B N; Johnston D C . 2009. Unusual magnetic, thermal, and transport behavior of single-crystalline EuRh2As2. Physical Review B. 79:220401.
Nath R; Singh Y; Johnston D C . 2009. Magnetic, thermal, and transport properties of layered arsenides BaRu2As2 and SrRu2As2. Physical Review B. 79:174513.
Pieper O; Lake B; Daoud-Aladine A; Reehuis M; Prokes K; Klemke B; Kiefer K; Yan J Q; Niazi A; Johnston D C; Honecker A . 2009. Magnetic structure and interactions in the quasi-one-dimensional antiferromagnet CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 79:180409.
Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Lee Y; Singh Y; Kim J W; Johnston D C; Harmon B N; Goldman A I . 2009. Magnetic ordering in EuRh2As2 studied by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering. Physical Review B. 79:100407.
Singh Y; Ellern A; Johnston D C . 2009. Magnetic, transport, and thermal properties of single crystals of the layered arsenide BaMn2As2. Physical Review B. 79:094519.
Niazi A; Bud'ko S L; Schlagel D L; Yan J Q; Lograsso T A; Kreyssig A; Das S; Nandi S; Goldman A I; Honecker A; McCallum R W; Reehuis M; Pieper O; Lake B; Johnston D C . 2009. Single-crystal growth, crystallography, magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity, and thermal expansion of the antiferromagnetic S=1 chain compound CaV2O4. Physical Review B. 79:104432.