David C. Johnston
A209 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-5435
- Synthesis and study of the thermal, transport and magnetic properties of high temperature superconductors, low-dimensional magnetic insulators, d-electron heavy fermion compounds, and other materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975
- B.A. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2000 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1991 Visiting Scientist, National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
- 1987 - 2000 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory USDOE
- 1978 - 1987 Scientific Staff, Corporate Research Laboratories Exxon Research and Engineering Company, Annandale, New Jersey
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Research Physicist, Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 - 1975 Research Assistant, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1968, 1969 Summers Researcher, Ford Scientific Laboratory, Dearborn, Michigan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2007 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 2007 Nominated "Outstanding Faculty Member", Interfraternity Council, Iowa State University, for being "a professor that excels in relating to their students while teaching effectively"
- 2004 Designated a "Highly Cited Researcher" for 1981-1999 inclusive by the Institute for Scientific Information
- 2000 Listed as one of the Institute for Scientific Information's "1120 Most Cited Physicists, (1981-June 1997)"
- 2000 Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1997 Iowa State University Foundation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 1995 - 1998 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 1995 Co-recipient, Annual Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, U.S. Department of Energy, "Investigation of Single Crystal RNi2B2C Magnetic Superconductors"
- 1993 Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity, Oxnard, CA, January 4-8
- 1991 Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists
- 1988 Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1969 - 1971 National Science Foundation Trainee, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 Graduation from University of California, Santa Barbara "With Highest Honors"
- 1967 - 1969 Regents' Scholar, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1967 Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Roy B; Furukawa Y; Nath R; Johnston D C; Katori H A; Kawamura H; Arima T H; Fujiyama S . 2011. Low-temperature (31)P NMR study of the two-dimensional frustrated square lattice compound BaCdVO(PO(4))(2). International Conference on Frustration in Condensed Matter. 320:012048.
Johnston D C; McQueeney R J; Lake B; Honecker A; Zhitomirsky M E; Nath R; Furukawa Y; Antropov V P; Singh Y . 2011. Magnetic exchange interactions in BaMn(2)As(2): A case study of the J(1)-J(2)-J(c) Heisenberg model. Physical Review B. 84:094445.
Pandey A; Anand V K; Johnston D C . 2011. Large miscibility gap in the Ba(Mn(x)Fe(1-x))(2)As(2) system. Physical Review B. 84:014405.
Tsirlin A A; Nath R; Abakumov A M; Furukawa Y; Johnston D C; Hemmida M; von Nidda H A K; Loidl A; Geibel C; Rosner H . 2011. Phase separation and frustrated square lattice magnetism of Na(1.5)VOPO(4)F(0.5). Physical Review B. 84:014429.
2010Johnston D C . 2010. The puzzle of high temperature superconductivity in layered iron pnictides and chalcogenides. Advances in Physics. 59:803-1061.
Singh Y; Martin C; Bud'ko S L; Ellern A; Prozorov R; Johnston D C . 2010. Multigap superconductivity and Shubnikov-de Haas oscillations in single crystals of the layered boride OsB(2). Physical Review B. 82:144532.
Nath R; Garlea V O; Goldman A I; Johnston D C . 2010. Synthesis, structure, and properties of tetragonal Sr2M3As2O2 (M-3=Mn-3, Mn2Cu, and MnZn2) compounds containing alternating CuO2-type and FeAs-type layers. Physical Review B. 81:224513.
Das S; Niazi A; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Johnston D C . 2010. Magnetic, thermal, and transport properties of the mixed-valent vanadium oxides LuV4O8 and YV4O8. Physical Review B. 81:104432.
Das S; McFadden K; Singh Y; Nath R; Ellern A; Johnston D C . 2010. Structural, magnetic, thermal, and electronic transport properties of single-crystal EuPd2Sb2. Physical Review B. 81:054425.
2009Nath R; Furukawa Y; Borsa F; Kaul E E; Baenitz M; Geibel C; Johnston D C . 2009. Single-crystal P-31 NMR studies of the frustrated square-lattice compound Pb-2(VO)(PO4)(2). Physical Review B. 80:214430.