David C. Johnston
A209 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-5435
- Synthesis and study of the thermal, transport and magnetic properties of high temperature superconductors, low-dimensional magnetic insulators, d-electron heavy fermion compounds, and other materials.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1975
- B.A. Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1969
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2000 - present Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1991 Visiting Scientist, National Research Institute for Metals, Tokyo, Japan
- 1987 - 2000 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory USDOE
- 1978 - 1987 Scientific Staff, Corporate Research Laboratories Exxon Research and Engineering Company, Annandale, New Jersey
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Research Physicist, Institute for Pure and Applied Physical Sciences, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 - 1975 Research Assistant, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1968, 1969 Summers Researcher, Ford Scientific Laboratory, Dearborn, Michigan
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2007 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 2007 Nominated "Outstanding Faculty Member", Interfraternity Council, Iowa State University, for being "a professor that excels in relating to their students while teaching effectively"
- 2004 Designated a "Highly Cited Researcher" for 1981-1999 inclusive by the Institute for Scientific Information
- 2000 Listed as one of the Institute for Scientific Information's "1120 Most Cited Physicists, (1981-June 1997)"
- 2000 Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Iowa State University
- 1997 Iowa State University Foundation Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research
- 1995 - 1998 Divisional Associate Editor, Physical Review Letters
- 1995 Co-recipient, Annual Award for Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment in Solid State Physics, U.S. Department of Energy, "Investigation of Single Crystal RNi2B2C Magnetic Superconductors"
- 1993 Chair, Gordon Research Conference on Superconductivity, Oxnard, CA, January 4-8
- 1991 Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists
- 1988 Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1969 - 1971 National Science Foundation Trainee, Department of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1969 Graduation from University of California, Santa Barbara "With Highest Honors"
- 1967 - 1969 Regents' Scholar, University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1967 Elected to Phi Beta Kappa
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Anand V K; Kim H; Tanatar M A; Prozorov R; Johnston D C . 2013. Superconducting and normal-state properties of APd(2)As(2) (A = Ca, Sr, Ba) single crystals. Physical Review B. 87:224510.
Lamsal J; Tucker G S; Heitmann T W; Kreyssig A; Jesche A; Pandey A; Tian W; McQueeney R J; Johnston D C; Goldman A I . 2013. Persistence of local-moment antiferromagnetic order in Ba1-xKxMn2As2. Physical Review B. 87:144418.
Goetsch R J; Anand V K; Johnston D C . 2013. Antiferromagnetism in EuNiGe3. Physical Review B. 87:064406.
Samal S L; Pandey A; Johnston D C; Corbett J D . 2013. Y3MnAu5: Three Distinctive d-Metal Functions in an Intergrown Cluster Phase. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 135:910-917.
2012Anand V K; Johnston D C . 2012. Observation of a phase transition at 55 K in single-crystal CaCu1.7As2. Physical Review B. 86:214501.
Johnston D C . 2012. Magnetic Susceptibility of Collinear and Noncollinear Heisenberg Antiferromagnets. Physical Review Letters. 109:077201.
Anand V K; Perera P K; Pandey A; Goetsch R J; Kreyssig A; Johnston D C . 2012. Crystal growth and physical properties of SrCu2As2, SrCu2Sb2, and BaCu2Sb2. Physical Review B. 85:214523.
Palczewski A D; Dhaka R S; Lee Y; Singh Y; Johnston D C; Harmon B N; Kaminski A . 2012. Experimental and theoretical electronic structure of EuRh2As2. Physical Review B. 85:174509.
Pandey A; Dhaka R S; Lamsal J; Lee Y; Anand V K; Kreyssig A; Heitmann T W; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I; Harmon B N; Kaminski A; Johnston D C . 2012. Ba1-xKxMn2As2: An Antiferromagnetic Local-Moment Metal. Physical Review Letters. 108:087005.
Goetsch R J; Anand V K; Pandey A; Johnston D C . 2012. Structural, thermal, magnetic, and electronic transport properties of the LaNi2(Ge1-xPx)(2) system. Physical Review B. 85:054517.