353 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-3086
- Exploratory solid state synthesis
- Polar intermetallics and Zintl phases, structure and bonding
- Relationships of approximants and quasicrystals
- Metal-metal bonding
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University of Washington, 1952
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Washington, 1948
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1985 A. V. Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, 1985
- 2007 Terrae Rarae Award
- 2005 F. H. Spedding Award in Rare-Earth Research
- 1995 Sustained Outstanding Research
- 1992 National Academy of Sciences
- 1987 Outstanding Scientific Accomplishments in Materials Chemistry
- 2008 F. Albert Cotton Award in Synthetic Inorganic Chemistry
- 2000 Distinguished Service in the Advancement of Inorganic Chemistry
- 1988 John C. Bailar, Jr. Medal
- 1986 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1986 Inorganic Chemistry
- 1985 Midwest (ACS) Award
- 1984 Iowa Medalist Award (ACS)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2007Li B; Corbett J D . 2007. AeMg(5)In(3) (Ae = Ba, Sr): New intermetallic compounds with well-differentiated roles for the normal cation types. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:2237-2242.
Li B; Corbett J D . 2007. Different cation arrangements in au-in networks. Syntheses and structures of six intermetallic compounds in alkali-metal-Au-In systems. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:6022-6028.
Ge M H; Corbett J D . 2007. Synthesis, structure, and bonding of EU3Bi(Sn,Bi)(4). A rare inverse-Cr5B3-type structure with a new Tin/Bismuth network. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:6864-6870.
Palasyuk A; Corbett J D . 2007. Synthesis and structure of BaPtIn3 and BaTl0.63In3.33. Two contrasting examples of preferential site occupation in BaAl4-Type structures. Zeitschrift Fur Anorganische Und Allgemeine Chemie. 633:2563-2567.