353 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-3086
- Exploratory solid state synthesis
- Polar intermetallics and Zintl phases, structure and bonding
- Relationships of approximants and quasicrystals
- Metal-metal bonding
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University of Washington, 1952
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Washington, 1948
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1985 A. V. Humboldt Senior Scientist Award, 1985
- 2007 Terrae Rarae Award
- 2005 F. H. Spedding Award in Rare-Earth Research
- 1995 Sustained Outstanding Research
- 1992 National Academy of Sciences
- 1987 Outstanding Scientific Accomplishments in Materials Chemistry
- 2008 F. Albert Cotton Award in Synthetic Inorganic Chemistry
- 2000 Distinguished Service in the Advancement of Inorganic Chemistry
- 1988 John C. Bailar, Jr. Medal
- 1986 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1986 Inorganic Chemistry
- 1985 Midwest (ACS) Award
- 1984 Iowa Medalist Award (ACS)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Herzmann N; Gupta S; Corbett J D . 2009. Reduced Ternary Rare-Earth-Transition Metal Tellurides for the Smaller Rare-Earth Elements. An Exploration and an Explanation of the Marked Stability Differentiation among the Rare-Earth Elements in These Phases. Zeitschrift Fur Anorganische Und Allgemeine Chemie. 635:848-854.
Liu Y; Wu L M; Li L H; Du S W; Corbett J D; Chen L . 2009. The Antimony-Based Type I Clathrate Compounds Cs8Cd18Sb28 and Cs8Zn18Sb28. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition. 48:5305-5308.
2008Li B; Corbett J D . 2008. Similar K@Au10Sn10 polyhedra in the markedly different structures of KAu4Sn6 and KAu3Sn3. Syntheses and characterization. Inorganic Chemistry. 47:3610-3616.
Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Rustan G E; Goldman A I; Gupta S; Corbett J D; Kracher A; Canfield P C . 2008. Anisotropic thermodynamic and transport properties of single-crystalline Ba1-xKxFe2As2 (x=0 and 0.45). Physical Review B. 78:014507.
Sefat A S; Palasyuk A M; Bud'ko S L; Corbett J D; Canfield P C . 2008. Crystal structures and magnetic properties of CeAu4Si2 and CeAu2Si2. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 181:282-293.
Palasyuk A; Dai J C; Corbett J D . 2008. SrAu4In4 and Sr4Au9In13: Polar intermetallic structures with cations in augmented hexagonal prismatic environments. Inorganic Chemistry. 47:3128-3134.
Palasyuk A M; Corbett J D . 2008. BaIrIn4 and Ba2Ir4In13: Two In-Rich Polar Intermetallic Structures with Different Augmented Prismatic Environments about the Cations. Inorganic Chemistry. 47:9344-9350.
2007Li B; Corbett J D . 2007. Syntheses and structures of new phases AeM(x)In(4-x) (Ae = Sr, Ba; M = Mg, Zn): Size effects and site preferences in BaAl4-Type structures. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:8812-8818.
Ge M H; Corbett J D . 2007. M2Ba2Sn6 (M =Yb, Ca): Metallic zintl phases with a novel tin chain substructure. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:4138-4144.
Dai J C; Corbett J D . 2007. Transformation of AeIn(4) indides (Ae = Ba, Sr) into an AeAu(2)In(2) structure type through gold substitution. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:4592-4598.