A101 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6353
- Self organization and growth of metal-semiconductor nanostructures and epitaxial films
- Electronic and atomic structure of metal-metal
- Metal-semiconductor adsorption systems and nanostructures
- Surface diffusion
- Phase transitions in adsorbed layers and supported nanostructures
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Spectroscopy
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, Lviv State University, Ukraine, 1982
- B.S. Physics and Electronics (with honors), Lviv State University, Ukraine, 1974
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2003 - present Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1999 - 2003 Assistant Scientist, Ames Laboratory
- 1988 - 1999 Head of the Laboratory of Epitaxy, Lviv State University, Ukraine
- 1980 - 1983 Assistant Professor, Lviv State University, Dept. of Physics, Ukraine
- 1974 - 1987 Junior, Senior Research Scientist, Lviv State University, Dept. of Physics, Ukraine
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1975 Honored by the Soviet Space Mission Control Center by a commemorative medal ‘Sojuz –Apollo’ for the preparation of the joint United States-Soviet Space Mission program “Sojuz-Apollo” and “Rainbow”
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2011Hupalo M; Liu X J; Wang C Z; Lu W C; Yao Y X; Ho K M; Tringides M C . 2011. Metal Nanostructure Formation on Graphene: Weak versus Strong Bonding. Advanced Materials. 23:2082-2087.
Hupalo M; Binz S; Tringides M C . 2011. Strong metal adatom-substrate interaction of Gd and Fe with graphene. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:045005.
2010Liu X J; Wang C Z; Hupalo M; Yao Y X; Tringides M C; Lu W C; Ho K M . 2010. Adsorption and growth morphology of rare-earth metals on graphene studied by ab initio calculations and scanning tunneling microscopy. Physical Review B. 82:245408.
Zhang G P; Hupalo M; Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2010. Stochastic coarsening model for Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 82:165414.
Tringides M C; Hupalo M . 2010. Surface diffusion experiments with STM: equilibrium correlations and non-equilibrium low temperature growth. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 22:264002.
Kuntova Z; Tringides M C; Binz S M; Hupalo M; Chvoj Z . 2010. Controlling nucleation rates in nanostructures with electron confinement. Surface Science. 604:519-522.
2009Li T; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Wang J . 2009. Ultrafast Dynamics of Highly Excited Dirac Fermions in Few-Layer Graphene: Evidence for Three-Particle Auger Scattering. MRS Proceedings. 1230:MM02-06.
Hupalo M; Conrad E H; Tringides M C . 2009. Growth mechanism for epitaxial graphene on vicinal 6H-SiC(0001) surfaces: A scanning tunneling microscopy study. Physical Review B. 80:041401.
Binz S M; Hupalo M; Tringides M C . 2009. Quantum size effect dependent critical size cluster and finite size effects. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:094307.
Li M; Wang C Z; Evans J W; Hupalo M; Tringides M C; Ho K M . 2009. Competition between area and height evolution of Pb islands on a Si(111) surface. Physical Review B. 79:113404.