First principles calculations to study magnetism, electronic structure, lattice dynamics, superconductivity, optics, and just about everything else, particularly magnetic molecules and spin Hamiltonians; strong interactions and frequent collaboration with experimental groups, recently emphasizing magnetic x-ray scattering, and high resolution angle resolved photoemission.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, 1973
- B.S. Illinois Institute of Technology, 1968
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1996 - present Director, Center for Physical and Computational Mathematics, IPRT/ISU
- 1996 - 1998 Program Director, Applied Mathematics, Ames Laboratory
- 1995 - present Deputy Director, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1983 - 2008 Program Director, Condensed Matter Physics, Ames Laboratory
- 1982 - 1994 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1978 - 1982 Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2008 Named one of the inaugural “Outstanding Referees” by the APS
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Research Award for Solid State Physics
- 1994 Fellow, American Physical Society (APS)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Boukhvalov D W; Al-Saqer M; Kurmaev E Z; Moewes A; Galakhov V R; Finkelstein L D; Chiuzbaian S; Neumann M; Dobrovitski V V; Katsnelson M I; Lichtenstein A I; Harmon B N; Endo K; North J M; Dalal N S . 2007. Electronic structure of a Mn-12 molecular magnet: Theory and experiment. Physical Review B. 75:014419.
Antonov V N; Harmon B N; Yaresko A N; Shpak A P . 2007. Electronic structure, noncollinear magnetism, and x-ray magnetic circular dichroism in the Mn3ZnC perovskite. Physical Review B. 75:165114.
Zhang W X; Dobrovitski V V; Santos L F; Viola L; Harmon B N . 2007. Suppression of electron spin decoherence in a quantum dot. Journal of Modern Optics. 54:2629-2640.