First principles calculations to study magnetism, electronic structure, lattice dynamics, superconductivity, optics, and just about everything else, particularly magnetic molecules and spin Hamiltonians; strong interactions and frequent collaboration with experimental groups, recently emphasizing magnetic x-ray scattering, and high resolution angle resolved photoemission.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, 1973
- B.S. Illinois Institute of Technology, 1968
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1996 - present Director, Center for Physical and Computational Mathematics, IPRT/ISU
- 1996 - 1998 Program Director, Applied Mathematics, Ames Laboratory
- 1995 - present Deputy Director, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1983 - 2008 Program Director, Condensed Matter Physics, Ames Laboratory
- 1982 - 1994 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1978 - 1982 Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2008 Named one of the inaugural “Outstanding Referees” by the APS
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Research Award for Solid State Physics
- 1994 Fellow, American Physical Society (APS)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
McQueeney R J; Diallo S O; Antropov V P; Samolyuk G D; Broholm C; Ni N; Nandi S; Yethiraj M; Zarestky J L; Pulikkotil J J; Kreyssig A; Lumsden M D; Harmon B N; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2008. Anisotropic Three-Dimensional Magnetism in CaFe2As2. Physical Review Letters. 101:227205.
Kreyssig A; Green M A; Lee Y; Samolyuk G D; Zajdel P; Lynn J W; Bud'ko S L; Torikachvili M S; Ni N; Nandi S; Leao J B; Poulton S J; Argyriou D N; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2008. Pressure-induced volume-collapsed tetragonal phase of CaFe2As2 as seen via neutron scattering. Physical Review B. 78:184517.
Paudyal D; Mudryk Y; Lee Y B; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A J; Harmon B N . 2008. Understanding the extraordinary magnetoelastic behavior in GdNi. Physical Review B. 78:184436.
Liu C; Samolyuk G D; Lee Y; Ni N; Kondo T; Santander-Syro A F; Bud'ko S L; McChesney J L; Rotenberg E; Valla T; Fedorov A V; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; Kaminski A . 2008. K-Doping Dependence of the Fermi Surface of the Iron-Arsenic Ba1-xKxFe2As2 Superconductor Using Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy. Physical Review Letters. 101:177005.
Zhang W X; Dobrovitski V V; Santos L F; Viola L; Harmon B N . 2007. Dynamical control of electron spin coherence in a quantum dot: A theoretical study. Physical Review B. 75:201302.
Lee Y; Harmon B N; Goldman A I; Lang J C . 2007. Temperature dependent x-ray magnetic circular dichroism in Er2Fe17. Journal of Applied Physics. 101:09G525.
Antonov V N; Harmon B N; Yaresko A N; Shpak A P . 2007. X-ray magnetic circular dichroism in GdN: First-principles calculations. Physical Review B. 75:184422.
Antonov V N; Harmon B N; Yaresko A N . 2007. X-ray magnetic circular dichroism in UGe2: first-principles calculations. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 19:186222.