First principles calculations to study magnetism, electronic structure, lattice dynamics, superconductivity, optics, and just about everything else, particularly magnetic molecules and spin Hamiltonians; strong interactions and frequent collaboration with experimental groups, recently emphasizing magnetic x-ray scattering, and high resolution angle resolved photoemission.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, 1973
- B.S. Illinois Institute of Technology, 1968
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1996 - present Director, Center for Physical and Computational Mathematics, IPRT/ISU
- 1996 - 1998 Program Director, Applied Mathematics, Ames Laboratory
- 1995 - present Deputy Director, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1983 - 2008 Program Director, Condensed Matter Physics, Ames Laboratory
- 1982 - 1994 Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1978 - 1982 Associate Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1975 - 1978 Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2008 Named one of the inaugural “Outstanding Referees” by the APS
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Research Award for Solid State Physics
- 1994 Fellow, American Physical Society (APS)
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Singh Y; Lee Y; Harmon B N; Johnston D C . 2009. Unusual magnetic, thermal, and transport behavior of single-crystalline EuRh2As2. Physical Review B. 79:220401.
Goldman A I; Harmon B N; Lee Y B; Kreyssig A . 2009. Comment on "Dipolar Excitations at the L-III X-Ray Absorption Edges of the Heavy Rare-Earth Metals". Physical Review Letters. 102:129701.
Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Lee Y; Singh Y; Kim J W; Johnston D C; Harmon B N; Goldman A I . 2009. Magnetic ordering in EuRh2As2 studied by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering. Physical Review B. 79:100407.
Goldman A I; Kreyssig A; Prokes K; Pratt D K; Argyriou D N; Lynn J W; Nandi S; Kimber S A J; Chen Y; Lee Y B; Samolyuk G; Leao J B; Poulton S J; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J . 2009. Lattice collapse and quenching of magnetism in CaFe2As2 under pressure: A single-crystal neutron and x-ray diffraction investigation. Physical Review B. 79:024513.
Boukhvalov D W; Vergara L I; Dobrovitski V V; Katsnelson M; Lichtenstein A I; Kogerler P; Musfeldt J L; Harmon B N . 2008. Correlation effects in the electronic structure of the Mn-4 molecular magnet. Physical Review B. 77:180402.
Zhang W X; Konstantinidis N P; Dobrovitski V V; Harmon B N; Santos L F; Viola L . 2008. Long-time electron spin storage via dynamical suppression of hyperfine-induced decoherence in a quantum dot. Physical Review B. 77:125336.
Lee Y B; Caes B; Harmon B N . 2008. Role of oxygen 2p states for anti-ferromagnetic interfacial coupling and positive exchange bias of ferromagnetic LSMO/SRO bilayers. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 450:1-6.
Tan L; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Jia S; Lee Y B; Lang J C; Islam Z; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2008. Spin-flop transition in Gd5Ge4 observed by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering and first-principles calculations of magnetic anisotropy. Physical Review B. 77:064425.