321 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-6063
- Experimental and theoretical solid state chemistry
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Chemistry, The University of Chicago, 1986
- B.S. Chemistry (Summa cum Laude), The University of Rochester, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- Research Associate, Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2008 ISU-LAS Award in Excellence in Teaching
- 2008 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2006 ISU-LAS Mid-Career Award in Excellence in Research/Artistic Creativity
- 2006 Visiting Scientist at MPI-CPfS, Dresden, Germany
- 2002 Visiting Scientist at MPI-Stuttgart, Germany
- 1999 Visiting Professor at ETH, Zürich, Switzerland
- 1996 Specialist to China Key Studies Development Program
- 1995 Exxon Faculty Fellowship in Solid State Chemistry
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Samolyuk G D; Miller G J . 2008. Relation between chemical bonding and exchange coupling approaches to the description of ordering in itinerant magnets. Journal of Computational Chemistry. 29:2177-2186.
Jia S; Ni N; Samolyuk G D; Safa-Sefat A; Dennis K; Ko H; Miller G J; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Variation of the magnetic ordering in GdT2Zn20 (T=Fe, Ru, Os, Co, Rh and Ir) and its correlation with the electronic structure of isostructural YT2Zn20. Physical Review B. 77:104408.
Davis B K; Torikachvili M S; Mun E D; Frederick J C; Miller G J; Thimmaiah S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Hydrostatic pressure study of single-crystalline UNi0.5Sb2. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B704.
Misra S; Miller G J . 2008. Gd(5-x)Y(x)Tt(4) (Tt = Si or Ge): Effect of metal substitution on structure, bonding, and magnetism. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 130:13900-13911.
2007Erickson A S; Misra S; Miller G J; Gupta R R; Schlesinger Z; Harrison W A; Kim J M; Fisher I R . 2007. Ferromagnetism in the Mott insulator Ba2NaOsO6. Physical Review Letters. 99:016404.
Gourdon O; Gout D; Williams D J; Proffen T; Hobbs S; Miller G J . 2007. Atomic distributions in the gamma-brass structure of the Cu-Zn system: A structural and theoretical study. Inorganic Chemistry. 46:251-260.