Duane D. Johnson
Chief Research Officer, Ames Laboratory and Professor, Iowa State University
311 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-9649
"Computational Materials Science" - attempts to mold modern theories of materials phenomena and their computational solution in order to predict properties and characterize materials.
- Thermodynamics and chemistry of materials via electronic-structure based methods, e.g., structual-ordering transitions in and properties of multicomponent alloys
- Mechanical properties by integration of generalized defect energy surfaces and mesoscale dislocation mechanics
- Multiscale modeling for spatial and temporal scales
- Energy-storage and catalytic properties of supported nanoassemblies
- New computational methods and algorithms to perform reliable materials discover and/or design
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Cincinnati, OH, 1985
- B.Sc. Physics, University of Cincinnati, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present F. Wendell Professor of Energy Sciences, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, and Ames Laboratory Chief Research Officer, Iowa State University
- 1997 - 2010 Ivan Racheff Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Physics and Mechanical Engineering, and Director of National Science Foundation supported Materials Computation Center, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 1988 - 1997 Senior Research Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California
- 1987 - 1988 National Research Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Naval Reserach Laboratory
- 1985 - 1986 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Bristol, England
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 - present F. Wendell Miller Professor of Energy Science, Iowa State University
- 2010 - 2013 Invited Professor, Ecole Centrale Paris
- 2010 - 2012 Special Editor for Computer Physics Communication
- 2010 DoE Hydrogen Program 2010 "Special Recognition Award" for the Metal-Hydride Center of Excellence "In Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to the Department of Energy
- 2009 - 2010 Ivan Racheff Professor of Materials Science, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2009 NCSA Faculty Fellow, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2008 - 2010 Chair-Elect, Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society
- 2008 Member-at-Large (elected), Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society
- 2006 Silver "Humie" Award, with student K. Sastry, human competitive award at the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference and Best Paper in Real World Applications track
- 2005 - 2009 Bliss Faculty Scholar, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2005 Listed in Who's Who in America
- 2004 Xerox Award for Faculty Research, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2003 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2000 - 2010 Member, Materials Science Critical Technology Sector/Phase Transitions, American Society of Metals
- 2000 Collins Scholar, Academy for Excellence in Engineering Education, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 1997 North Atlantic Treaty Organization (AGARD) Invited Lecturer
- 1997 Editorial Board, "Methods in Materials Science"
- 1993 Award for Excellence, Sandia National Laboratories
- 1987 - 1988 National Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellow
- 1983 - 1984 Thesis Research Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2012Reich J M; Wang L L; Johnson D D . 2012. Surface and Particle-Size Effects on Hydrogen Desorption from Catalyst-Doped MgH2. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:20315-20320.
Jiang R; Wang L L; Huang M L; Dhaka R S; Johnson D D; Lograsso T A; Kaminski A . 2012. Reversible tuning of the surface state in a pseudobinary Bi-2(Te-Se)(3) topological insulator. Physical Review B. 86:085112.
Martin M L; Auger T; Johnson D D; Robertson I M . 2012. Liquid-metal-induced fracture mode of martensitic T91 steels. Journal of Nuclear Materials. 426:71-77.
Wang L L; Tan T L; Johnson D D . 2012. Nanoalloy composition-temperature phase diagram for catalyst design: Case study of Ag-Au. Physical Review B. 86:035438.
Wang L L; Johnson D D . 2012. Hydrogen Desorption from Ti-Doped MgH2(110) Surfaces: Catalytic Effect on Reaction Pathways and Kinetic Barriers. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:7874-7878.
Alam A; Johnson D D . 2012. Structural properties and relative stability of (meta)stable ordered, partially ordered, and disordered Al-Li alloy phases. Physical Review B. 85:144202.
2011Alam A; Wilson B G; Johnson D D . 2011. Accurate and fast numerical solution of Poisson's equation for arbitrary, space-filling Voronoi polyhedra: Near-field corrections revisited. Physical Review B. 84:205106.
Alam A; Johnson D D . 2011. Chemically Mediated Quantum Criticality in NbFe(2). Physical Review Letters. 107:206401.
Alam A; Khan S N; Wilson B G; Johnson D D . 2011. Efficient isoparametric integration over arbitrary space-filling Voronoi polyhedra for electronic structure calculations. Physical Review B. 84:045105.
Wilson B G; Johnson D D; Alam A . 2011. Multi-center electronic structure calculations for plasma equation of state. High Energy Density Physics. 7:61-70.