Duane D. Johnson
Chief Research Officer, Ames Laboratory and Professor, Iowa State University
311 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF)
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-9649
"Computational Materials Science" - attempts to mold modern theories of materials phenomena and their computational solution in order to predict properties and characterize materials.
- Thermodynamics and chemistry of materials via electronic-structure based methods, e.g., structual-ordering transitions in and properties of multicomponent alloys
- Mechanical properties by integration of generalized defect energy surfaces and mesoscale dislocation mechanics
- Multiscale modeling for spatial and temporal scales
- Energy-storage and catalytic properties of supported nanoassemblies
- New computational methods and algorithms to perform reliable materials discover and/or design
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Cincinnati, OH, 1985
- B.Sc. Physics, University of Cincinnati, 1980
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2010 - present F. Wendell Professor of Energy Sciences, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, and Ames Laboratory Chief Research Officer, Iowa State University
- 1997 - 2010 Ivan Racheff Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Physics and Mechanical Engineering, and Director of National Science Foundation supported Materials Computation Center, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 1988 - 1997 Senior Research Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, California
- 1987 - 1988 National Research Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Naval Reserach Laboratory
- 1985 - 1986 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Bristol, England
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 - present F. Wendell Miller Professor of Energy Science, Iowa State University
- 2010 - 2013 Invited Professor, Ecole Centrale Paris
- 2010 - 2012 Special Editor for Computer Physics Communication
- 2010 DoE Hydrogen Program 2010 "Special Recognition Award" for the Metal-Hydride Center of Excellence "In Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to the Department of Energy
- 2009 - 2010 Ivan Racheff Professor of Materials Science, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2009 NCSA Faculty Fellow, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2008 - 2010 Chair-Elect, Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society
- 2008 Member-at-Large (elected), Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society
- 2006 Silver "Humie" Award, with student K. Sastry, human competitive award at the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference and Best Paper in Real World Applications track
- 2005 - 2009 Bliss Faculty Scholar, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2005 Listed in Who's Who in America
- 2004 Xerox Award for Faculty Research, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 2003 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2000 - 2010 Member, Materials Science Critical Technology Sector/Phase Transitions, American Society of Metals
- 2000 Collins Scholar, Academy for Excellence in Engineering Education, University of Illinois-Champaign
- 1997 North Atlantic Treaty Organization (AGARD) Invited Lecturer
- 1997 Editorial Board, "Methods in Materials Science"
- 1993 Award for Excellence, Sandia National Laboratories
- 1987 - 1988 National Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellow
- 1983 - 1984 Thesis Research Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Tan T L; Wang L L; Johnson D D; Bai K W . 2013. Hydrogen Deposition on Pt(111) during Electrochemical Hydrogen Evolution from a First-Principles Multiadsorption-Site Study. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 117:22696-22704.
Khan S N; Alam A; Johnson D D . 2013. Low-energy planar magnetic defects in BaFe2As2: Nanotwins, twins, antiphase, and domain boundaries. Physical Review B. 88:184515.
Xiao C X; Wang L L; Maligal-Ganesh R V; Smetana V; Walen H; Thiel P A; Miller G J; Johnson D D; Huang W Y . 2013. Intermetallic NaAu2 as a Heterogeneous Catalyst for Low-Temperature CO Oxidation. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 135:9592-9595.
Wang L L; Huang M L; Thimmaiah S; Alam A; Bud'ko S L; Kaminski A; Lograsso T A; Canfield P; Johnson D D . 2013. Native defects in tetradymite Bi-2(TexSe3-x) topological insulators. Physical Review B. 87:125303.
Sun R S; Johnson D D . 2013. Stability maps to predict anomalous ductility in B2 materials. Physical Review B. 87:104107.
Alam A; Khan M; McCallum R W; Johnson D D . 2013. Site-preference and valency for rare-earth sites in (R-Ce)(2)Fe14B magnets. Applied Physics Letters. 102:042402.
2012Kim M G; Lamsal J; Heitmann T W; Tucker G S; Pratt D K; Khan S N; Lee Y B; Alam A; Thaler A; Ni N; Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Marty K J; Lumsden M D; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; Johnson D D; Kreyssig A; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2012. Effects of Transition Metal Substitutions on the Incommensurability and Spin Fluctuations in BaFe2As2 by Elastic and Inelastic Neutron Scattering. Physical Review Letters. 109:167003.
Tan T L; Wang L L; Johnson D D; Bai K W . 2012. A Comprehensive Search for Stable Pt-Pd Nanoalloy Configurations and Their Use as Tunable Catalysts. Nano Letters. 12:4875-4880.
Alam A; Wilson B G; Johnson D D . 2012. Reply to "Comment on 'Accurate and fast numerical solution of Poisson's equation for arbitrary, space-filling Voronoi polyhedra: Near-field corrections revisited'". Physical Review B. 86:127102.
Reich J M; Wang L L; Johnson D D . 2012. Surface and Particle-Size Effects on Hydrogen Desorption from Catalyst-Doped MgH2. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116:20315-20320.