Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Zhang Q; Wang W J; Kim J W; Hansen B; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; McQueeney R J; Vaknin D . 2013. Magnetoelastic coupling and charge correlation lengths in a twin domain of Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 (x=0.047): A high-resolution x-ray diffraction study. Physical Review B. 87:094510.
Wang L L; Huang M L; Thimmaiah S; Alam A; Bud'ko S L; Kaminski A; Lograsso T A; Canfield P; Johnson D D . 2013. Native defects in tetradymite Bi-2(TexSe3-x) topological insulators. Physical Review B. 87:125303.
Patz A; Li T; Ran S; Bud'ko S; Canfield P; Wang J; Chergui M; Taylor A; Cundiff S; DeVivieRiedle R; Yamagouchi K . 2013. Photoinduced femtosecond relaxation of antiferromagnetic orders in the iron pnictides revealed by ultrafast laser ellipsometry. XVIIIth International Conference on Ultrafast Phenomena. 41:03011.
Bermudez M M; Pasquini G; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Correlated vortex pinning in slightly orthorhombic twinned Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 single crystals: Possible shift of the vortex-glass/liquid transition. Physical Review B. 87:054515.
Moon S J; Schafgans A A; Tanatar M A; Prozorov R; Thaler A; Canfield P C; Sefat A S; Mandrus D; Basov D N . 2013. Interlayer Coherence and Superconducting Condensate in the c-Axis Response of Optimally Doped Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 High-T-c Superconductor Using Infrared Spectroscopy. Physical Review Letters. 110:097003.
Mun E D; Bud'ko S L; Martin C; Kim H; Tanatar M A; Park J H; Murphy T; Schmiedeshoff G M; Dilley N; Prozorov R; Canfield P C . 2013. Magnetic-field-tuned quantum criticality of the heavy-fermion system YbPtBi. Physical Review B. 87:075120.
Hodovanets H; Thaler A; Mun E; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Thermoelectric power of Ba(Fe1-x Co (x) )(2)As-2 (0x0.05) and Ba(Fe1-x Rh (x) )(2)As-2 (0x0.171). Philosophical Magazine. 93:661-672.
Dhaka R S; Hahn S E; Razzoli E; Jiang R; Shi M; Harmon B N; Thaler A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kaminski A . 2013. Unusual Temperature Dependence of Band Dispersion in Ba(Fe1-xRux)(2)As-2 and its Consequences for Antiferromagnetic Ordering. Physical Review Letters. 110:067002.
Brgoch J; Ran S; Thimmaiah S; Canfield P C; Miller G J . 2013. Determination of a new structure type in the Sc-Fe-Ge-Sn system. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 546:300-306.