Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Simon F; Muranyi F; Feher T; Janossy A; Forro L; Petrovic C; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2007. Spin-lattice relaxation time of conduction electrons in MgB2. Physical Review B. 76:024519.
Prozorov R; Vannette M D; Samolyuk G D; Law S A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2007. Contactless measurements of Shubnikov-de Haas oscillations in the magnetically ordered state of CeAgSb2 and SmAgSb2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 75:014413.
Bonville P; Rams M; Krolas K; Sanchez J P; Canfield P C; Trovarelli O; Geibel C . 2007. Magnetic structures and crystal field in the heavy electron materials YbAgGe and YbPtIn. European Physical Journal B. 55:77-84.
Torikachvili M S; Bud'ko S L; Law S A; Tillman M E; Mun E D; Canfield P C . 2007. Hydrostatic pressure study of pure and doped La1-xRxAgSb2 (R=Ce,Nd) charge-density-wave compounds. Physical Review B. 76:235110.
Dolinsek J; McGuiness P J; Klanjsek M; Smiljanic I; Smontara A; Zijlstra E S; Bose S K; Fisher I R; Kramer M J; Canfield P C . 2007. Reply to "Comment on 'Extrinsic origin of the insulating behavior of polygrain icosahedral Al-Pd-Re quasicrystals'". Physical Review B. 76:216202.
Janssen Y; Chang S; Kreyssig A; Kracher A; Mozharivskyj Y; Misra S; Canfield P C . 2007. Magnetic phase diagram of Ce2Fe17. Physical Review B. 76:054420.
Szabo P; Samuely P; Pribulova Z; Angst M; Bud'ko S; Canfield P C; Marcus J . 2007. Point-contact spectroscopy of Al- and C-doped MgB2: Superconducting energy gaps and scattering studies. Physical Review B. 75:144507.
Prozorov T; Mallapragada S K; Narasimhan B; Wang L J; Palo P; Nilsen-Hamilton M; Williams T J; Bazylinski D A; Prozorov R; Canfield P C . 2007. Protein-mediated synthesis of uniform superparamagnetic magnetite nanocrystals. Advanced Functional Materials. 17:951-957.