Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Law S A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2007. Effects of mixed rare earth occupancy on the low temperature properties of (R, R ', R ''...)Ni2Ge2 single crystals. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 312:140-146.
Jia S; Bud'ko S L; Samolyuk G D; Canfield P C . 2007. Nearly ferromagnetic Fermi-liquid behaviour in YFe2Zn20 and high-temperature ferromagnetismof GdFe2Zn20. Nature Physics. 3:334-338.
Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Morosan E; Cava R J; Schmiedeshoff G M . 2007. Thermal expansion and effect of pressure on superconductivity in CuxTiSe2. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 19:176230.
Kim J W; Kreyssig A; Ryan P; Mun E; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2007. X-ray resonant magnetic scattering study of spontaneous ferrimagnetism. Applied Physics Letters. 90:202501.
Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Avila M A; Takabatake T . 2007. Magnetic-field tuning of the low-temperature state of YbNiSi3. Physical Review B. 75:094433.
Goddard P A; Singleton J; Sharma A L L; Morosan E; Blundell S J; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2007. Separation of energy scales in the kagome antiferromagnet TmAgGe: A magnetic-field-orientation study up to 55 T. Physical Review B. 75:094426.
Notbohm S; Tennant D A; Lake B; Canfield P C; Fielden J; Kogerler P; Mikeska H J; Luckmann C; Telling M T F . 2007. Temperature effects on multi-particle scattering in a gapped quantum magnet. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 310:1236-1238.
Wilke R H T; Samuely P; Szabo P; Holanova Z; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Finnemore D K . 2007. Superconducting and normal state properties of carbon doped and neutron irradiated MgB2. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 456:108-116.
Torikachvili M S; Jia S; Mun E D; Hannahs S T; Black R C; Neils W K; Martien D; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2007. Six closely related YbT2Zn20 (T = Fe, Co, Ru, Rh, Os, Ir) heavy fermion compounds with large local moment degeneracy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 104:9960-9963.