Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Ni N; Tillman M E; Yan J Q; Kracher A; Hannahs S T; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Effects of Co substitution on thermodynamic and transport properties and anisotropic H-c2 in Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 78:214515.
Choi K Y; Wulferding D; Lemmens P; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Lattice and electronic anomalies of CaFe2As2 studied by Raman spectroscopy. Physical Review B. 78:212503.
Aczel A A; Baggio-Saitovitch E; Budko S L; Canfield P C; Carlo J P; Chen G F; Dai P C; Goko T; Hu W Z; Luke G M; Luo J L; Ni N; Sanchez-Candela D R; Tafti F F; Wang N L; Williams T J; Yu W; Uemura Y J . 2008. Muon-spin-relaxation studies of magnetic order and superfluid density in antiferromagnetic NdFeAsO, BaFe2As2, and superconducting Ba1-xKxFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:214503.
Prozorov R; Ni N; Tanatar M A; Kogan V G; Gordon R T; Martin C; Blomberg E C; Prommapan P; Yan J Q; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Vortex phase diagram of Ba(Fe0.93Co0.07)(2)As-2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 78:224506.
McQueeney R J; Diallo S O; Antropov V P; Samolyuk G D; Broholm C; Ni N; Nandi S; Yethiraj M; Zarestky J L; Pulikkotil J J; Kreyssig A; Lumsden M D; Harmon B N; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2008. Anisotropic Three-Dimensional Magnetism in CaFe2As2. Physical Review Letters. 101:227205.
Reibelt M; Schilling A; Canfield P C; Ravikumar G; Berger H . 2008. Differential-thermal analysis around and below the critical temperature T-c of various low-T-c superconductors: A comparative study. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 468:2254-2266.
Kreyssig A; Green M A; Lee Y; Samolyuk G D; Zajdel P; Lynn J W; Bud'ko S L; Torikachvili M S; Ni N; Nandi S; Leao J B; Poulton S J; Argyriou D N; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2008. Pressure-induced volume-collapsed tetragonal phase of CaFe2As2 as seen via neutron scattering. Physical Review B. 78:184517.
Simon F; Dora B; Muranyi F; Janossy A; Garaj S; Forro L; Bud'ko S; Petrovic C; Canfield P C . 2008. Generalized Elliott-Yafet Theory of Electron Spin Relaxation in Metals: Origin of the Anomalous Electron Spin Lifetime in MgB2. Physical Review Letters. 101:177003.
Liu C; Samolyuk G D; Lee Y; Ni N; Kondo T; Santander-Syro A F; Bud'ko S L; McChesney J L; Rotenberg E; Valla T; Fedorov A V; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; Kaminski A . 2008. K-Doping Dependence of the Fermi Surface of the Iron-Arsenic Ba1-xKxFe2As2 Superconductor Using Angle-Resolved Photoemission Spectroscopy. Physical Review Letters. 101:177005.