Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Davis B K; Torikachvili M S; Mun E D; Frederick J C; Miller G J; Thimmaiah S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Hydrostatic pressure study of single-crystalline UNi0.5Sb2. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B704.
Canfield P C; Jia S; Mun E D; Bud'ko S L; Samolyuk G D; Torikachvili M S . 2008. Myriad of correlated electron effects found in the RT2Zn20 family. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 403:844-846.
Park W K; Stalzer H; Sarrao J L; Thompson J D; Pham L D; Fisk Z; Frederick J; Canfield P C; Greene L H . 2008. Point-contact Andreev reflection spectroscopy of heavy-fermion-metal/superconductor junctions. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 403:818-819.
Prozorov R; Fidler A F; Hoberg J R; Canfield P C . 2008. Suprafroth in type-I superconductors. Nature Physics. 4:327-332.
Rathnayaka K D D; Belevtsev B I; Naugle D G; Canfield P C; Lee S I; Kim J D . 2008. Torque magnetometry: An effective tool for study of metamagnetic transitions in quaternary borocarbides RNi2B2C. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 403:1050-1052.
Altarawneh M M; Collar K; Mielke C H; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Determination of anisotropic H-c2 up to 60 T in Ba0.55K0.45Fe2As2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 78:220505.
Ni N; Tillman M E; Yan J Q; Kracher A; Hannahs S T; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Effects of Co substitution on thermodynamic and transport properties and anisotropic H-c2 in Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 78:214515.
Choi K Y; Wulferding D; Lemmens P; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Lattice and electronic anomalies of CaFe2As2 studied by Raman spectroscopy. Physical Review B. 78:212503.
Aczel A A; Baggio-Saitovitch E; Budko S L; Canfield P C; Carlo J P; Chen G F; Dai P C; Goko T; Hu W Z; Luke G M; Luo J L; Ni N; Sanchez-Candela D R; Tafti F F; Wang N L; Williams T J; Yu W; Uemura Y J . 2008. Muon-spin-relaxation studies of magnetic order and superfluid density in antiferromagnetic NdFeAsO, BaFe2As2, and superconducting Ba1-xKxFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:214503.