Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Ni N; Nandi S; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Mun E D; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. First-order structural phase transition in CaFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:014523.
Yan J Q; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Kracher A; McQueeney R J; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I; Canfield P C . 2008. Structural transition and anisotropic properties of single-crystalline SrFe2As2. Physical Review B. 78:024516.
Bud'ko S L; Frederick J C; Mun E D; Canfield P C; Schmiedeshoff G M . 2008. Thermal expansion, heat capacity and magnetostriction of RAl3 (R = Tm, Yb, Lu) single crystals. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 20:025220.
Sefat A S; Palasyuk A M; Bud'ko S L; Corbett J D; Canfield P C . 2008. Crystal structures and magnetic properties of CeAu4Si2 and CeAu2Si2. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 181:282-293.
Hu R W; Thomas K J; Lee Y; Vogt T; Choi E S; Mitrovic V F; Hermann R P; Grandjean F; Canfield P C; Kim J W; Goldman A I; Petrovic C . 2008. Colossal positive magnetoresistance in a doped nearly magnetic semiconductor. Physical Review B. 77:085212.
Detlefs C; Duc F; Kazei Z A; Vanacken J; Frings P; Bras W; Lorenzo J E; Canfield P C; Rikken Glja . 2008. Direct observation of the high magnetic field effect on the Jahn-Teller state in TbVO4. Physical Review Letters. 100:056405.
Sefat A S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Magnetization, resistivity and heat capacity of the anisotropic RVSb3 crystals (R=La-Nd, Sm, Gd-Dy). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 320:120-141.
Vannette M D; Sefat A S; Jia S; Law S A; Lapertot G; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Schmalian J; Prozorov R . 2008. Precise measurements of radio-frequency magnetic susceptibility in ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic materials. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 320:354-363.
Tan L; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Jia S; Lee Y B; Lang J C; Islam Z; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2008. Spin-flop transition in Gd5Ge4 observed by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering and first-principles calculations of magnetic anisotropy. Physical Review B. 77:064425.