Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Goldman A I; Argyriou D N; Ouladdiaf B; Chatterji T; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; McQueeney R J . 2008. Lattice and magnetic instabilities in CaFe2As2: A single-crystal neutron diffraction study. Physical Review B. 78:100506.
Prozorov R; Vannette M D; Law S A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Coexistence of ferromagnetism and superconductivity in ErRh4B4 single crystals probed by dynamic magnetic susceptibility. Physical Review B. 77:100503.
Canfield P C . 2008. Fishing the Fermi sea. Nature Physics. 4:167-169.
Sefat A S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Magnetic properties of off-stoichiometric R2Co3Zn14 (R = Y, Gd) single crystals. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 320:1035-1042.
Paolasini L; Di Matteo S; Deen P P; Wilkins S; Mazzoli C; Detlefs B; Lapertot G; Canfield P . 2008. Resonant magnetic x-ray scattering in the antiferromagnet Ce(Fe1-xCox)(2). Physical Review B. 77:094433.
Bud'ko S L; Law S A; Canfield P C; Samolyuk G D; Torikachvili M S; Schmiedeshoff G M . 2008. Thermal expansion and magnetostriction of pure and doped RAgSb2 (R = Y, Sm, La) single crystals. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 20:115210.
Jia S; Ni N; Samolyuk G D; Safa-Sefat A; Dennis K; Ko H; Miller G J; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2008. Variation of the magnetic ordering in GdT2Zn20 (T=Fe, Ru, Os, Co, Rh and Ir) and its correlation with the electronic structure of isostructural YT2Zn20. Physical Review B. 77:104408.
Bergk B; Petzold V; Rosner H; Drechsler S L; Bartkowiak M; Ignatchik O; Bianchi A D; Sheikin I; Canfield P C; Wosnitza J . 2008. Anisotropic multiband many-body interactions in LuNi2B2C. Physical Review Letters. 100:257004.
Janssen Y; Dennis K W; Prozorov R; Canfield P C; McCallum R W . 2008. Exotic (anti)ferromagnetism in single crystals of Pr6Ni2Si3. Physical Review B. 77:214407.