Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Allan M P; Chuang T M; Massee F; Xie Y; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Boebinger G S; Wang Q; Dessau D S; Canfield P C; Golden M S; Davis J C . 2013. Anisotropic impurity states, quasiparticle scattering and nematic transport in underdoped Ca(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2. Nature Physics. 9:220-224.
Dong J K; Tokiwa Y; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Gegenwart P . 2013. Anomalous Reduction of the Lorenz Ratio at the Quantum Critical Point in YbAgGe. Physical Review Letters. 110:176402.
Bossoni L; Carretta P; Horvatic M; Corti M; Thaler A; Canfield P C . 2013. Glassy transition in the vortex lattice of Ba(Fe0.93Rh0.07)(2)As-2 superconductor probed by NMR and ac-susceptibility. EPL. 102:17005.
Kim M G; Tucker G S; Pratt D K; Ran S; Thaler A; Christianson A D; Marty K; Calder S; Podlesnyak A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J . 2013. Magnonlike Dispersion of Spin Resonance in Ni-doped BaFe2As2. Physical Review Letters. 110:177002.
Weigand M; Civale L; Baca F J; Kim J; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Maiorov B . 2013. Strong enhancement of the critical current at the antiferromagnetic transition in ErNi2B2C single crystals. Physical Review B. 87:140506.
Lin X; Straszheim W E; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Anisotropic magnetization and resistivity of single crystalline RNi1-xBi2 +/- y (R = La-Nd, Sm, Gd-Dy). Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 554:304-311.
Murphy J; Tanatar M A; Graf D; Brooks J S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kogan V G; Prozorov R . 2013. Angular-dependent upper critical field of overdoped Ba(Fe1-xNix)(2)As-2. Physical Review B. 87:094505.
Kim S K; Colombier E; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Evolution of the electronic transport properties of V6O11 and V7O13 under pressure. Physical Review B. 87:115140.
Bud'ko S L; Sturza M; Chung D Y; Kanatzidis M G; Canfield P C . 2013. Heat capacity jump at T-c and pressure derivatives of superconducting transition temperature in the Ba1-xKxFe2As2 (0.2 <= x <= 1.0) series. Physical Review B. 87:100509.