Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Martin C; Tillman M E; Kim H; Tanatar M A; Kim S K; Kreyssig A; Gordon R T; Vannette M D; Nandi S; Kogan V G; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Goldman A I; Prozorov R . 2009. Nonexponential London Penetration Depth of FeAs-Based Superconducting RFeAsO0.9F0.1 (R=La, Nd) Single Crystals. Physical Review Letters. 102:247002.
McCallum R W; Yan J Q; Rustan G E; Mun E D; Singh Y; Das S; Nath R; Bud'ko S L; Dennis K W; Johnston D C; Canfield P C; Kramer M J; Kreyssig A; Lograsso T A; Goldman A I . 2009. In situ high energy x-ray synchrotron diffraction study of the synthesis and stoichiometry of LaFeAsO and LaFeAsO1-xFy. Journal of Applied Physics. 105:123912.
Colombier E; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Canfield P C . 2009. Complete pressure-dependent phase diagrams for SrFe2As2 and BaFe2As2. Physical Review B. 79:224518.
Hahn S E; Lee Y; Ni N; Canfield P C; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J; Harmon B N; Alatas A; Leu B M; Alp E E; Chung D Y; Todorov I S; Kanatzidis M G . 2009. Influence of magnetism on phonons in CaFe2As2 as seen via inelastic x-ray scattering. Physical Review B. 79:220511.
Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Canfield P C . 2009. Jump in specific heat at the superconducting transition temperature in Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 and Ba(Fe1-xNix)(2)As-2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 79:220516.
Kimber S A J; Kreyssig A; Zhang Y Z; Jeschke H O; Valenti R; Yokaichiya F; Colombier E; Yan J; Hansen T C; Chatterji T; McQueeney R J; Canfield P C; Goldman A I; Argyriou D N . 2009. Similarities between structural distortions under pressure and chemical doping in superconducting BaFe2As2. Nature Materials. 8:471-475.
Canfield P C; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J; Torikachvili M S; Argyriou D N; Luke G; Yu W . 2009. Structural, magnetic and superconducting phase transitions in CaFe2As2 under ambient and applied pressure. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 469:404-412.
Eskildsen M R; Vinnikov L Y; Veshchuno I S; Artemova T M; Blasius T D; Densmore J M; Dewhurst C D; Ni N; Kreyssig A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Goldman A I . 2009. Vortex imaging in Co-doped BaFe2As2. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 469:529-534.
Diallo S O; Antropov V P; Perring T G; Broholm C; Pulikkotil J J; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J . 2009. Itinerant Magnetic Excitations in Antiferromagnetic CaFe2As2. Physical Review Letters. 102:187206.