Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Chuang T M; Allan M P; Lee J; Xie Y; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Boebinger G S; Canfield P C; Davis J C . 2010. Nematic Electronic Structure in the "Parent" State of the Iron-Based Superconductor Ca(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2. Science. 327:181-184.
Canfield P C; Caudle M L; Ho C S; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Kim M G; Lin X; Kracher A; Dennis K W; McCallum R W; Goldman A I . 2010. Solution growth of a binary icosahedral quasicrystal of Sc12Zn88. Physical Review B. 81:020201.
Torikachvili M S; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Canfield P C . 2009. Hydrostatic pressure study of the structural phase transitions and superconductivity in single crystals of (Ba1-xKx)Fe2As2 (x=0 and 0.45) and CaFe2As2. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 404:3223-3226.
Szabo P; Pribulova Z; Pristas G; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Samuely P . 2009. Two gap superconductivity in Ba0.55K0.45Fe2As2 single crystals studied by the directional point-contact Andreev reflection spectroscopy. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 404:3220-3222.
Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Sefat A S; Sales B C; McGuire M A; Mandrus D . 2009. Anisotropic thermal expansion of Fe1.06Te and FeTe0.5Se0.5 single crystals. Physical Review B. 80:134523.
Gapud A A; Moraes S; Khadka R P; Favreau P; Henderson C; Canfield P C; Kogan V G; Reyes A P; Lumata L L; Christen D K; Thompson J R . 2009. Flux quanta driven by high-density currents in low-impurity V3Si and LuNi2B2C: Free flux flow and fluxon-core size effect. Physical Review B. 80:134524.
Luo X G; Tanatar M A; Reid J P; Shakeripour H; Doiron-Leyraud N; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Luo H Q; Wang Z S; Wen H H; Prozorov R; Taillefer L . 2009. Quasiparticle heat transport in single-crystalline Ba(1-x)KxFe(2)As(2): Evidence for a k-dependent superconducting gap without nodes. Physical Review B. 80:140503.
Jia S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2009. Magnetic properties of RFe2Zn20 and RCo2Zn20 (R=Y, Nd, Sm, Gd-Lu). Physical Review B. 80:104403.