Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Mun E D; Bud'ko S L; Kreyssig A; Canfield P C . 2010. Tuning low-temperature physical properties of CeNiGe3 by magnetic field. Physical Review B. 82:054424.
Thaler A; Ni N; Kracher A; Yan J Q; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2010. Physical and magnetic properties of Ba(Fe1-xRux)(2)As-2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 82:014534.
Ni N; Thaler A; Yan J Q; Kracher A; Colombier E; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2010. Temperature versus doping phase diagrams for Ba(Fe1-xTMx)(2)As-2(TM=Ni,Cu,Cu/Co) single crystals. Physical Review B. 82:024519.
Kim M G; Kreyssig A; Thaler A; Pratt D K; Tian W; Zarestky J L; Green M A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2010. Antiferromagnetic ordering in the absence of structural distortion in Ba(Fe1-xMnx)(2)As-2. Physical Review B. 82:220503.
Kim H; Martin C; Tillman M E; Kim S K; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Tanatar M A; Prozorov R . 2010. London penetration depth in single crystals of F- and Co-doped RFeAsO (R = La, Nd) superconductors. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 470:S363-S364.
Prozorov R; Tanatar M A; Shen B; Cheng P; Wen H H; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2010. Anomalous Meissner effect in pnictide superconductors. Physical Review B. 82:180513.
Bud'ko S L; Kogan V G; Hodovanets H; Ran S; Moser S A; Lampe M J; Canfield P C . 2010. Evolution of ground state and upper critical field in R1-xGdxNi2B2C (R = Lu, Y): Coexistence of superconductivity and spin-glass state. Physical Review B. 82:174513 .
Wang C H; Christianson A D; Lawrence J M; Bauer E D; Goremychkin E A; Kolesnikov A I; Trouw F; Ronning F; Thompson J D; Lumsden M D; Ni N; Mun E D; Jia S; Canfield P C; Qiu Y; Copley J R D . 2010. Neutron scattering and scaling behavior in URu2Zn20 and YbFe2Zn20. Physical Review B. 82:184407.