Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Blomberg E C; Tanatar M A; Kreyssig A; Ni N; Thaler A; Hu R W; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Goldman A I; Prozorov R . 2011. In-plane anisotropy of electrical resistivity in strain-detwinned SrFe2As2. Physical Review B. 83:134505 .
Kim M G; Fernandes R M; Kreyssig A; Kim J W; Thaler A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; McQueeney R J; Schmalian J; Goldman A I . 2011. Character of the structural and magnetic phase transitions in the parent and electron-doped BaFe(2)As(2) compounds. Physical Review B. 83:134522.
Canfield P C . 2011. Still alluring and hard to predict at 100. Nature Materials. 10:259-261.
Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Pratt D K; Kreyssig A; Kim M G; Kramer M J; Ryan D H; Rowan-Weetaluktuk W N; Furukawa Y; Roy B; Goldman A I; Canfield P C . 2011. Stabilization of an ambient-pressure collapsed tetragonal phase in CaFe(2)As(2) and tuning of the orthorhombic-antiferromagnetic transition temperature by over 70 K via control of nanoscale precipitates. Physical Review B. 83:144517.
Ryan D H; Rowan-Weetaluktuk W N; Cadogan J M; Hu R; Straszheim W E; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2011. Fe-57 Mossbauer study of magnetic ordering in superconducting K0.80Fe1.76Se2.00 single crystals. Physical Review B. 83:104526 .
Mun E D; Altarawneh M M; Mielke C H; Zapf V S; Hu R; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2011. Anisotropic Hc2 of K0.8Fe(1.76)Se(2) determined up to 60 T. Physical Review B. 83:100514.
Lu X; Park W K; Yeo S; Oh K H; Lee S I; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Greene L H . 2011. Superconducting order parameter in nonmagnetic borocarbides RNi2B2C (R = Y, Lu) probed by point-contact Andreev reflection spectroscopy. Physical Review B. 83:104519 .
Maniv A; Maniv T; Zhuravlev V; Bergk B; Wosnitza J; Kohler A; Behr G; Canfield P C; Sonier J E . 2011. Damping of de Haas-van Alphen oscillations and vortex-lattice disorder in the peak-effect region of extreme type-II borocarbide superconductors. Physical Review B. 83:104505.
Ryan D H; Lee-Hone N R; Cadogan J M; Canfield P C; Bud'ko S L . 2011. Magnetic ordering in GdAgSb2. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 23:106003.