Design, discovery, growth and characterization of new and exotic materials with electronic and/or magnetic phase transitions are the primary focus of my research group. Compounds are usually prepared in single crystal form, so the measurement of the anisotropic, temperature and applied magnetic field dependent magnetization, specific heat, electrical resistivity, and thermoelectric power are our primary characterization measurements.
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Los Angeles, 1990
- B.S. Physics, University of Virginia, Graduated Summa Cum Laude, 1983
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2006 - present Distinguished Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2001 - present Senior Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 2001 - 2006 Full Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2000 Faculty Improvement Leave in Grenoble, France as Researcher in C.E.A. and Adjunct Professor in University of Grenoble
- 1998 - 2001 Associate Professor (Tenured), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1995 - 2001 Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1994 - 1996 Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Physicist, Ames Laboratory
- 1990 - 1993 Postdoctoral research, Los Alamos National Laboratory
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2012 Lawrence Award
- 2009 Robert Allen Wright Professorship (Endowed Chair of Physics)
- 2006 Distinguished Professor
- 2005 Mid-Career Achievement Award
- 2001 Master Teacher Award
- 2001 APS Fellow
- 1998 Award for Early Excellence in Research
- 1995 DOE Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Award for Solid State Physics
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
Tokiwa Y; Garst M; Gegenwart P; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Quantum Bicriticality in the Heavy-Fermion Metamagnet YbAgGe. Physical Review Letters. 111:116401.
Lin X; Taufour V; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Suppression of ferromagnetism in the LaVxCr1-xGe3 system. Physical Review B. 88:094405.
Goldman A I; Kong T; Kreyssig A; Jesche A; Ramazanoglu M; Dennis K W; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. A family of binary magnetic icosahedral quasicrystals based on rare earths and cadmium. Nature Materials. 12:714-718.
Hodovanets H; Bud'ko S L; Lin X; Taufour V; Kim M G; Pratt D K; Kreyssig A; Canfield P C . 2013. Anisotropic transport and magnetic properties and magnetic-field tuned states of CeZn11 single crystals. Physical Review B. 88:054410.
Murphy J; Tanatar M A; Kim H; Kwok W; Welp U; Graf D; Brooks J S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Prozorov R . 2013. Effect of heavy-ion irradiation on London penetration depth in overdoped Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2. Physical Review B. 88:054514.
Normile P S; Rotter M; Detlefs C; Jensen J; Canfield P C; Blanco J A . 2013. Magnetic ordering in GdNi2B2C revisited by resonant x-ray scattering: Evidence for the double-q model. Physical Review B. 88:054413.
Bud'ko S L; Ran S; Canfield P C . 2013. Thermal expansion of CaFe2As2: Effect of cobalt doping and postgrowth thermal treatment. Physical Review B. 88:064513.
Kim S K; Torikachvili M S; Budko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Search for pressure-induced quantum criticality in YbFe2Zn20. Physical Review B. 88:045116.
Kim M G; Soh J; Lang J; Dean M P M; Thaler A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Bourret-Courchesne E; Kreyssig A; Goldman A I; Birgeneau R J . 2013. Spin polarization of Ru in superconducting Ba(Fe0.795Ru0.205)(2)As-2 studied by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering. Physical Review B. 88:014424.