Karl A. Gschneidner, Jr.
255 Spedding Hall
The Ames Laboratory
Ames, IA 50011-3020Phone 515-294-7931
- Physical metallugy of rare earths
- Alloy theory and phase formation studies
- Lower temperature (1 to 300K) and high magnetic field (0-10 T) studies of magnetic, thermal and electrical behavior of rare-earth materials
- Magnetocaloric effect and magnetic refrigeration
- Ductile intermetallic compounds
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Iowa State University, 1957
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Detroit, 1952
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 1979 - present Anson Marston Distinguished Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1979 - 1980 Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego
- 1967 - 1979 Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1963 - 1967 Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1962 - 1963 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, University of Illinois
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 1996-2006 Chairman Acta Materialia, Inc.
- 1993-2006 Board Governors of Acta Materialia, Inc.
- 1992 Delivered the first Plenary Lecture at the International Conference on Rare Earths 1992, Kyoto, Japan
- 1992 A special symposium, named the "Karl A. Gschneidner, Jr. Symposium" was dedicated to K. A. Gschneidner, Jr. in recognition for his "meritorious service to rare earth science and industry" at the International Conference on Rare Earths 1992, Kyoto, Japan
- 1991 Frank H. Spedding Award, 19th Rare Earth Research Conference, for distinguished contributions in the field of rare earth science
- 1990 Guest Editor for the special commemorative centennial volume of the Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
- 1990 Fellow of the Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society
- 1990 Fellow of the American Society for Materials International
- 1989 Burlington Northern Award for Excellence in Research, Iowa State University
- 1988 Presented the second Plenary Lecture at the First International Conference on Ti, W, RE, Sb, sponsored by The Non-Ferrous Metals Society of China, Changsha, P. R. of China
- 1986 Anson Marston Distinguished Professor, College of Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1985 Presented the First Plenary Lecture at the International Conference on Rare Earth Development and Application, sponsored by the Chinese Rare Earth Society, Beijing, P. R. of China
- 1982 Co-winner of the Department of Energy's Materials Sciences Research Competition in the Metallurgy and Ceramics: Outstanding Scientific Accomplishment Category. Research was on "Quenching of Spin Fluctuations and Inducing of Magnetic Moments in Metamagnetic Materials"
- 1979 Distinguished Professor in Sciences and Humanities, Iowa State University
- 1978 - 2006 Board of Advisory Editors of the Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials
- 1978 William Hume-Rothery Award of The Metallurgical Society of AIME (American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers) in recognition of outstanding scholarly contributions to the science of alloys
- 1976 - present Senior Editor of the Handbook of the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2008Xie S; Russell A M; Becker A T; Gschneidner K A . 2008. Dislocation core structures in YAg, a ductile B2CsCl-type intermetallic compound. Scripta Materialia. 58:1066-1069.
Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2008. Origins of ferromagnetism and antiferromagnetism in Gd5Ge4. Journal of Physics-Condensed Matter. 20:235235.
Zou M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Schlagel D L; Lograsso T A . 2008. Magnetic phase transitions and ferromagnetic short-range correlations in single-crystal Tb5Si2.2Ge1.8. Physical Review B. 78:014435.
Stumphy B; Mudryk Y; Russell A; Herman D; Gschneidner K . 2008. Oxidation resistance of B2 rare earth-magnesium intermetallic compounds. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 460:363-367.
Mudryk Y; Paudyal D; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2008. Magnetostructural transition in Gd5Si0.5Ge3.5: Magnetic and x-ray powder diffraction measurements, and theoretical calculations. Physical Review B. 77:024408.
Chumbley L S; Ugurlu O; McCallum R W; Dennis K W; Mudryk Y; Gschneidner K A; Pecharsky V K . 2008. Linear microstructural features in R-5(Si,Ge)(4)-type alloys: Difficulties in identification. Acta Materialia. 56:527-536.
Tan L; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Jia S; Lee Y B; Lang J C; Islam Z; Lograsso T A; Schlagel D L; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2008. Spin-flop transition in Gd5Ge4 observed by x-ray resonant magnetic scattering and first-principles calculations of magnetic anisotropy. Physical Review B. 77:064425.
Singh N K; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2008. Unusual magnetic properties of (Er1-xGdx)(5)Si-4 compounds. Physical Review B. 77:054414.
Herrero-Albillos J; Paudyal D; Bartolome F; Garcia L M; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A; Young A T; Jaouen N; Rogalev A . 2008. Interplay between er and co magnetism in ErCo2. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07E146.
Tseng Y C; Haskel D; Lang J C; Mudryk Y; Pecharsky V K; Gschneidner K A . 2008. Pressure tuning of the magnetic transition in Gd-5(Si0.375Ge0.625)(4) giant magnetocaloric effect material. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:07B301.