Sergey L. Bud'ko
A111 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-3986
- Experimental condensed matter physics: thermodynamic (magnetization, heat capacity, thermal expansion) and transport (resistivity, Hall effect, thermoelectric power) properties of novel materials and materials with novel ground states in multi-extreme conditions (low temperatures, high magnetic fields, high pressure)
- Quantum oscillations
- Density waves
- Strong electronic correlations
- Quantum criticality
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1986
- M.S. (with honors) Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Adjunct Research Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2002 - present Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2002 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1995 - 1996 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1991 - 1993 Associate Researcher, Texas Center for Superconductivity at the University of Houston
- 1990 - 1991 Visiting Researcher, Dept. of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1985 - 1991 Researcher, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
- 1982 - 1985 Research Assistant, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Outstanding Referee for the APS journals
- 2009 Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1997 - 1998 FAPERJ (Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil) fellowship
- 1993 - 1995, 1996-1997 CNPq (Brazil) fellowship
- 1987, 1989 Award for the best research by young scientist, Institute for High Pressure Physics, RAS
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Dhaka R S; Hahn S E; Razzoli E; Jiang R; Shi M; Harmon B N; Thaler A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kaminski A . 2013. Unusual Temperature Dependence of Band Dispersion in Ba(Fe1-xRux)(2)As-2 and its Consequences for Antiferromagnetic Ordering. Physical Review Letters. 110:067002.
2012Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2012. Frequency dependence of the spin glass freezing temperatures in icosahedral R-Mg-Zn (R = rare earth) quasicrystals. Philosophical Magazine. 92:4492-4497.
Lippman T M; Kalisky B; Kim H; Tanatar M A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Prozorov R; Moler K A . 2012. Agreement between local and global measurements of the London penetration depth. Physica C-Superconductivity and Its Applications. 483:91-93.
Bud'ko S L; Liu Y; Lograsso T A; Canfield P C . 2012. Hydrostatic and uniaxial pressure dependence of superconducting transition temperature of KFe2As2 single crystals. Physical Review B. 86:224514.
Gati E; Kohler S; Guterding D; Wolf B; Knoner S; Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Lang M . 2012. Hydrostatic-pressure tuning of magnetic, nonmagnetic, and superconducting states in annealed Ca(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2. Physical Review B. 86:220511.
Kim M G; Lamsal J; Heitmann T W; Tucker G S; Pratt D K; Khan S N; Lee Y B; Alam A; Thaler A; Ni N; Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Marty K J; Lumsden M D; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; Johnson D D; Kreyssig A; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2012. Effects of Transition Metal Substitutions on the Incommensurability and Spin Fluctuations in BaFe2As2 by Elastic and Inelastic Neutron Scattering. Physical Review Letters. 109:167003.
Das P; Densmore J M; Rastovski C; Schlesinger K J; Laver M; Dewhurst C D; Littrell K; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Eskildsen M R . 2012. Field dependence of the superconducting basal plane anisotropy of TmNi2B2C. Physical Review B. 86:144501.
Kim H; Bud'ko S L; Tanatar M A; Avdashchenko D V; Matovnikov A V; Mitroshenkov N V; Novikov V V; Prozorov R . 2012. Magnetic Properties of RB66 (R = Gd, Tb, Ho, Er, and Lu). Journal of Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism. 25:2371-2375.
Mun E D; Jia S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2012. Thermoelectric power of the YbT2Zn20 (T = Fe, Ru, Os, Ir, Rh, and Co) heavy fermions. Physical Review B. 86:115110.
Lin X; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2012. Physical properties of single crystalline BaSn5. Philosophical Magazine. 92:3006-3014.