Sergey L. Bud'ko
A111 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-3986
- Experimental condensed matter physics: thermodynamic (magnetization, heat capacity, thermal expansion) and transport (resistivity, Hall effect, thermoelectric power) properties of novel materials and materials with novel ground states in multi-extreme conditions (low temperatures, high magnetic fields, high pressure)
- Quantum oscillations
- Density waves
- Strong electronic correlations
- Quantum criticality
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1986
- M.S. (with honors) Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Adjunct Research Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2002 - present Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2002 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1995 - 1996 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1991 - 1993 Associate Researcher, Texas Center for Superconductivity at the University of Houston
- 1990 - 1991 Visiting Researcher, Dept. of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1985 - 1991 Researcher, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
- 1982 - 1985 Research Assistant, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Outstanding Referee for the APS journals
- 2009 Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1997 - 1998 FAPERJ (Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil) fellowship
- 1993 - 1995, 1996-1997 CNPq (Brazil) fellowship
- 1987, 1989 Award for the best research by young scientist, Institute for High Pressure Physics, RAS
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2009Shi D L; Cho H S; Huth C; Wang F; Dong Z Y; Pauletti G M; Lian J; Wang W; Liu G K; Bud'ko S L; Wang L M; Ewing R C . 2009. Conjugation of quantum dots and Fe3O4 on carbon nanotubes for medical diagnosis and treatment. Applied Physics Letters. 95:223702.
Prozorov R; Tanatar M A; Ni N; Kreyssig A; Nandi S; Bud'ko S L; Goldman A I; Canfield P C . 2009. Intrinsic pinning on structural domains in underdoped single crystals of Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2. Physical Review B. 80:174517.
Torikachvili M S; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Canfield P C . 2009. Hydrostatic pressure study of the structural phase transitions and superconductivity in single crystals of (Ba1-xKx)Fe2As2 (x=0 and 0.45) and CaFe2As2. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 404:3223-3226.
Szabo P; Pribulova Z; Pristas G; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Samuely P . 2009. Two gap superconductivity in Ba0.55K0.45Fe2As2 single crystals studied by the directional point-contact Andreev reflection spectroscopy. Physica B-Condensed Matter. 404:3220-3222.
Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Sefat A S; Sales B C; McGuire M A; Mandrus D . 2009. Anisotropic thermal expansion of Fe1.06Te and FeTe0.5Se0.5 single crystals. Physical Review B. 80:134523.
Luo X G; Tanatar M A; Reid J P; Shakeripour H; Doiron-Leyraud N; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Luo H Q; Wang Z S; Wen H H; Prozorov R; Taillefer L . 2009. Quasiparticle heat transport in single-crystalline Ba(1-x)KxFe(2)As(2): Evidence for a k-dependent superconducting gap without nodes. Physical Review B. 80:140503.
Jia S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2009. Magnetic properties of RFe2Zn20 and RCo2Zn20 (R=Y, Nd, Sm, Gd-Lu). Physical Review B. 80:104403.
Williams T J; Aczel A A; Baggio-Saitovitch E; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Carlo J P; Goko T; Munevar J; Ni N; Uemura Y J; Yu W; Luke G M . 2009. Muon spin rotation measurement of the magnetic field penetration depth in Ba(Fe0.926Co0.074)(2)As-2: Evidence for multiple superconducting gaps. Physical Review B. 80:094501.
Pratt D K; Tian W; Kreyssig A; Zarestky J L; Nandi S; Ni N; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Goldman A I; McQueeney R J . 2009. Coexistence of Competing Antiferromagnetic and Superconducting Phases in the Underdoped Ba(Fe0.953Co0.047)(2)As-2 Compound Using X-ray and Neutron Scattering Techniques. Physical Review Letters. 103:087001.
Canfield P C; Bud'ko S L; Ni N; Yan J Q; Kracher A . 2009. Decoupling of the superconducting and magnetic/structural phase transitions in electron-doped BaFe2As2. Physical Review B. 80:060501.