Sergey L. Bud'ko
A111 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-3986
- Experimental condensed matter physics: thermodynamic (magnetization, heat capacity, thermal expansion) and transport (resistivity, Hall effect, thermoelectric power) properties of novel materials and materials with novel ground states in multi-extreme conditions (low temperatures, high magnetic fields, high pressure)
- Quantum oscillations
- Density waves
- Strong electronic correlations
- Quantum criticality
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1986
- M.S. (with honors) Solid State Physics, Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, 1982
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Adjunct Research Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 2002 - present Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1999 - 2002 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1998 - 1999 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University
- 1996 - 1998 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1995 - 1996 Visiting Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1993 - 1995 Visiting Researcher, Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Fisicas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1991 - 1993 Associate Researcher, Texas Center for Superconductivity at the University of Houston
- 1990 - 1991 Visiting Researcher, Dept. of Physics, University of California, San Diego
- 1985 - 1991 Researcher, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
- 1982 - 1985 Research Assistant, Institute for High Pressure Physics, Troitsk, Moscow region, Russia
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2010 Outstanding Referee for the APS journals
- 2009 Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 1997 - 1998 FAPERJ (Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil) fellowship
- 1993 - 1995, 1996-1997 CNPq (Brazil) fellowship
- 1987, 1989 Award for the best research by young scientist, Institute for High Pressure Physics, RAS
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2014Kong T; Cunningham C E; Taufour V; Bud'ko S L; Buffon M L C; Lin X; Emmons H; Canfield P C . 2014. Thermodynamic and transport properties of single crystalline RCo2Ge2 (R,Y, La-Nd, Sm-Tm). Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 358:212-227.
Jesche A; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2014. Single crystal growth and characterization of the large-unit-cell compound Cu13Ba. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 587:705-709.
Dhaka R S; Jiang R; Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Harmon B N; Kaminski A; Tomic M; Valenti R; Lee Y B . 2014. Dramatic changes in the electronic structure upon transition to the collapsed tetragonal phase in CaFe2As2. Physical Review B. 89:020511.
Bud'ko S L; Chung D Y; Bugaris D; Claus H; Kanatzidis M G; Canfield P C . 2014. Heat capacity jump at T-c and pressure derivatives of superconducting transition temperature in the Ba1-xNaxFe2As2 (0.1 <= x <= 0.9) series. Physical Review B. 89:014510.
2013Dioguardi A P; Crocker J; Shockley A C; Lin C H; Shirer K R; Nisson D M; Lawson M M; apRoberts-Warren N; Canfield P C; Bud'ko S L; Ran S; Curro N J . 2013. Coexistence of Cluster Spin Glass and Superconductivity in Ba(Fe1-xCox)(2)As-2 for 0.060 <= x <= 0.071. Physical Review Letters. 111:207201.
Taufour V; Hodovanets H; Kim S K; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Electrical resistivity study of CeZn11: Magnetic field and pressure phase diagram up to 5 GPa. Physical Review B. 88:195114.
Soh J H; Tucker G S; Pratt D K; Abernathy D L; Stone M B; Ran S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Kreyssig A; McQueeney R J; Goldman A I . 2013. Inelastic Neutron Scattering Study of a Nonmagnetic Collapsed Tetragonal Phase in Nonsuperconducting CaFe2As2: Evidence of the Impact of Spin Fluctuations on Superconductivity in the Iron-Arsenide Compounds. Physical Review Letters. 111:227002.
Zhang Q; Tian W; Li H F; Kim J W; Yan J Q; McCallum R W; Lograsso T A; Zarestky J L; Bud'ko S L; McQueeney R J; Vaknin D . 2013. Magnetic structures and interplay between rare-earth Ce and Fe magnetism in single-crystal CeFeAsO. Physical Review B. 88:174517.
Hu R; Mun E D; Ryan D H; Cho K; Kim H; Hodovanets H; Straszheim W E; Tanatar M A; Prozorov R; Rowan-Weetaluktuk W N; Cadogan J M; Altarawneh M M; Mielke C H; Zapf V S; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C; Wang N L; Hosono H; Dai P . 2013. Synthesis and Physical Properties of the New Potassium Iron Selenide Superconductor K0.80Fe1.76Se2. Iron-Based Superconductors: Materials, Properties, and Mechanisms. :.
Fente A; Suderow H; Vieira S; Nemes N M; Garcia-Hernandez M; Bud'ko S L; Canfield P C . 2013. Low temperature magnetic transitions of single crystal HoBi. Solid State Communications. 172:59-63.