A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6987
- Molecular dynamics and electronic properties of semiconductor materials
- Structure and light-induced properties of thin film silicon materials for photovoltaic applications
- Quantum dots for solar energy conversion
- Design of photonic band gap crystals with electromagnetic simulations
- Light management in solar cell structures
- Sharp infrared emitters using photonic crystals
- Development of novel sensors using plasmonic crystals
- Novel applications of photonic band gap materials and non-linear effects
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, Cornell University, 1984
- M.S. Physics, Cornell University, 1982
- M.Sc Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 1978
- B.S. Physics/Math, Bombay University, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1998 - present Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center
- 1993 - present Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1989 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center
- 1986 - 1988 Consultant, Exxon Research, NJ
- 1984 - 1986 Postdoctoral Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, NJ
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society For theoretical contributions to the dynamics of semiconductors, solar materials, and photonic crystals
- 2008 Ames Laboratory Insider “Filtering out the noise” News Release
- 2006 Materials Research Lecturer, California Institute of Technology
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2010Biswas R; Zhou D Y . 2010. Simulation and modelling of photonic and plasmonic crystal back reflectors for efficient light trapping. Physica Status Solidi a-Applications and Materials Science. 207:667-670.
2009Curtin B; Biswas R; Dalal V . 2009. Photonic crystal based back reflectors for light management and enhanced absorption in amorphous silicon solar cells. Applied Physics Letters. 95:231102.
Stieler D; Barsic A; Biswas R; Tuttle G; Ho K M . 2009. A planar four-port channel drop filter in the three-dimensional woodpile photonic crystal. Optics Express. 17:6128-6133.
2008Zhou D Y; Biswas R . 2008. Photonic crystal enhanced light-trapping in thin film solar cells. Journal of Applied Physics. 103:093102.
Sigalas M M; Biswas R . 2008. Slot defect in three-dimensional photonic crystals. Physical Review B. 78:033101.
Biswas R; Zhou D; Puscasu I; Johnson E; Taylor A; Zhao W . 2008. Sharp thermal emission and absorption from conformally coated metallic photonic crystal with triangular lattice. Applied Physics Letters. 93:063307.
Biswas R; Christensen C; Muehlmeier J; Tuttle G; Ho K M . 2008. Waveguide circuits in three-dimensional photonic crystals. Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications. 6:134-141.
Biswas R; Han Y Y; Karra P; Sherman P; Chandra A . 2008. Diffusion-limited agglomeration and defect generation during chemical mechanical planarization. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 155:D534-D537.
2007Biswas R; Neginhal S; Ding C G; Puscasu I; Johnson E . 2007. Mechanisms underlying extraordinary transmission enhancement in subwavelength hole arrays. Journal of the Optical Society of America B-Optical Physics. 24:2589-2596.
Biswas R; Pan B; Wagner S; Chu V; Atwater H A; Yamamoto K; Zan H W . 2007. Simulation of realistic core-shell silicon nanowires. Amorphous and Polycrystalline Thin-Film Silicon Science and Technology 2006. 910:15-20.