A506 Zaffarano Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011Phone 515-294-6987
- Molecular dynamics and electronic properties of semiconductor materials
- Structure and light-induced properties of thin film silicon materials for photovoltaic applications
- Quantum dots for solar energy conversion
- Design of photonic band gap crystals with electromagnetic simulations
- Light management in solar cell structures
- Sharp infrared emitters using photonic crystals
- Development of novel sensors using plasmonic crystals
- Novel applications of photonic band gap materials and non-linear effects
(Chronologically most recent on top)Education
- Ph.D. Physics, Cornell University, 1984
- M.S. Physics, Cornell University, 1982
- M.Sc Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 1978
- B.S. Physics/Math, Bombay University, 1976
(Chronologically most recent on top)Professional Appointments
- 2004 - present Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Iowa State University
- 1998 - present Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center
- 1993 - present Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Iowa State University
- 1989 - 1998 Associate Scientist, Ames Laboratory and Microelectronics Research Center
- 1986 - 1988 Consultant, Exxon Research, NJ
- 1984 - 1986 Postdoctoral Member of Technical Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories, NJ
(Chronologically most recent on top)Honors & Awards
- 2009 Fellow, American Physical Society For theoretical contributions to the dynamics of semiconductors, solar materials, and photonic crystals
- 2008 Ames Laboratory Insider “Filtering out the noise” News Release
- 2006 Materials Research Lecturer, California Institute of Technology
(Chronologically most recent on top)Publications with the Ames Laboratory
2013Biswas R; Timmons E . 2013. Nano-photonic light trapping near the Lambertian limit in organic solar cell architectures. Optics Express. 21:A841-A846.
Biswas R; Pattnaik S; Xu C; Bhattacharya J; Chakravarty N; Dalal V . 2013. Enhancement of solar cells with photonic and plasmonic crystals - overcoming the Lambertian limit. Journal of Materials Research. 28:1021-1030.
Xu C; Biswas R; Ho K M . 2013. Enhanced light emission in semiconductor nanowire arrays. Optics Communications. 287:250-253.
2012Bhattacharya J; Chakravarty N; Pattnaik S; Slafer W D; Biswas R; Dalal V . 2012. Comparison of optical properties of periodic photonic-plasmonic and randomly textured back reflectors for nc-Si solar cells. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 358:2313-2318.
Biswas R; Xu C . 2012. Photonic and plasmonic crystal based enhancement of solar cells - Theory of overcoming the Lambertian limit. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids. 358:2289-2294.
Cai M; Ye Z; Xiao T; Liu R; Chen Y; Mayer R W; Biswas R; Ho K M; Shinar R; Shinar J . 2012. Extremely Efficient Indium-Tin-Oxide-Free Green Phosphorescent Organic Light-Emitting Diodes. Advanced Materials. 24:4337-4342.
2011Bhattacharya J; Chakravarty N; Pattnaik S; Slafer W D; Biswas R; Dalal V L . 2011. A photonic-plasmonic structure for enhancing light absorption in thin film solar cells. Applied Physics Letters. 99:131114.
Liu R; Xu C; Biswas R; Shinar J; Shinar R . 2011. MoO(3) as combined hole injection layer and tapered spacer in combinatorial multicolor microcavity organic light emitting diodes. Applied Physics Letters. 99:093305.
Biswas R; Xu C . 2011. Nano-crystalline silicon solar cell architecture with absorption at the classical 4n(2) limit. Optics Express. 19:A664-A672.
2010Biswas R; Bhattacharya J; Lewis B; Chakravarty N; Dalal V . 2010. Enhanced nanocrystalline silicon solar cell with a photonic crystal back-reflector. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. 94:2337-2342.