(NOTE: Applications are no longer being accepted.)
The Ames Laboratory seeks applications and nominations for Laboratory Director to lead and enhance its ongoing world-class mission-driven research.
The Director is responsible for all aspects of leading and managing the Laboratory. S/he develops a compelling and viable vision for the continuation and advancement of the scientific future of the Laboratory, designs a strategic plan that will help realize that vision, leads the effective and optimal execution of that strategy, andprovides leadership for the development, and prioritization of Laboratory initiatives.
The Director is the voice of the Ames Laboratory in relations with the DOE and other national laboratories and is expected to be a strong proponent of the Laboratory in pursuing new opportunities and communicating its successes. S/he actively participates in technology transfer initiatives and public affairs/education activities of the Laboratory. S/he must effectively communicate with the DOE, national and international scientific institutions, other national laboratories, media, the public and any other stakeholders.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS
The Search Committee seeks an internationally recognized leader in the sciences or engineering with vision for the future, commitment to excellence in broad areas of research and research management, proven administrative skills that span the academic and federal environments, and strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with all Ames Laboratory constituencies.
The Director is responsible for the financial stability and sustainability of the Laboratory. The Director approves the Laboratory’s operating budget that builds on current strengths and strategically aligns the Ames Laboratory to take advantage of emerging opportunities. The Director uses Laboratory resources and partners with other units at Iowa State University to recruit and retain top scientists and managers. For the fiscal year 2012, the Lab’s budget was over $36 million, most of which came from DOE.
The Director is responsible for the effective, responsible, and safe operation of the Laboratory, including its government-owned facilities and property. S/he is the champion for Integrated Safety Management and is directly responsible for the safety and security of the Laboratory’s employees and assets. This includes being the leader in developing and maintaining a system of cyber security that protects both the Ames Laboratory and the DOE laboratory system.
The Director reports directly to Iowa State University’s Senior Vice President and Provost.
Specifically, the Director should possess:
- A proven record of visionary leadership and effective organizational management.
- Outstanding scientific credentials at a level commensurate with a tenured faculty position in an academic department including international stature and a reputation for having made groundbreaking contributions to her/his field.
- A passion for and the ability to energize the multi-disciplinary culture of the Ames Laboratory.
- An understanding of federal funding agencies and, preferably, prior experience with the DOE: knowledge of its culture, how funding decisions are made, and the environment of federal funding agencies.
- The ability to cultivate relationships and develop programs with the DOE’s Office of Science, other DOE offices, leadership of other national laboratories and other public and private customers to further the mission of the Laboratory.
- Interpersonal skills needed to communicate within and outside Ames Laboratory and be a spokesperson to diverse stakeholders in promoting the mission, vision, and accomplishments of the Ames Laboratory.
- The ability to leverage the unique opportunities afforded by the partnership of Ames Laboratory and Iowa State University, while also respecting their differences.
- A commitment to diversity and understanding the strengths that diversity brings to the Ames Laboratory and Iowa State University Communities.
- Commitment to the safety and security of employees, assets, and the environment.
- Unquestionable ethical standards.
NOMINATIONS: Please submit nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE DATE: The search committee will begin reviewing materials immediately. Application materials are due November 1.
CONTACTS: All inquiries, nominations, and applications will be held in strictest confidence. Questions may be addressed to Cynthia Jenks or Mufit Akinc, Search Committee Co-chairs, at email@example.com.
For a complete position description and information about how to apply, please contact
Ames Laboratory Director Search Committee
1550 Beardshear Hall
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011