Ames Laboratory Board
The Ames Laboratory Board was formally defined and approved on August 2, 2007, revised and approved on November 10, 2017 and provides guidance, oversight, and input to the President of Iowa State University (ISU) and Ames Laboratory management.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- Provide guidance with regard to the Laboratory’s vision and strategy.
- Provide oversight of Laboratory operations, support functions and administration of Contract DE-AC02-07CH11358, the management and operations contract between the Department of Energy and ISU in satisfaction of the contractor assurance function.
- Provide input regarding best practices, alternative options, and opportunities to leverage resources with ISU and other national laboratories.
Members of the Board include:
- Wendy Wintersteen (Chair), ISU President
- Jonathan Wickert, ISU Senior Vice President and Provost
- Pam Elliott Cain, ISU Interim Senior Vice President for University Services
- Sarah Nusser, ISU Vice President for Research
- Adam Schwartz (ex-officio), Ames Laboratory Director
The Board has established two standing committees: the Ames Laboratory Scientific Advisory Committee (ALSAC) and the Ames Laboratory Operations Review Committee (ALORC). The Board can establish ad hoc committees and subcommittees as necessary. These committees report to the Board and are tasked with review and/or oversight of its functional or operational area, and provides support and oversight, guidance and recommendations to Ames Laboratory as appropriate.
The ALSAC focuses on the development, implementation and direction of Ames Laboratory’s scientific policy as it is aligned with and forwards DOE’s mission needs, as well as ISU’s mission’s needs. Members include:
- Sarah Nusser (Chair), ISU Vice President for Research
- Ramesh Ramamoorthy, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Associate Laboratory Director
- George Crabtree, Argonne National Laboratory, Senior Scientist
- Bob Cava, Princeton University, Professor
- Susannah Scott, University of California Santa Barbara, Professor
- Ian Fisher, Stanford University, Professor
- Timothy Weihs, Johns Hopkins University, Professor
- Dimitri Argyriou (ex-officio), Ames Laboratory Chief Research Officer
The ALORC puts focus on Ames Laboratory’s business services and provides advice on the strategic and operational plans and their adequacy to accomplish Ames Laboratory’s mission and ensure safety, security, and organizational compliance for staff, the public and the environment. Members include:
- Pam Elliott Cain, ISU Interim Senior Vice President for University Services (Chair)
- Jack Anderson, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations
- Tom Gioconda, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Deputy Director
- Mary Logue, Jefferson Laboratory, Associate Director Environment, Safety, Health & Quality
- Bobi Garrett, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Deputy Laboratory Director/COO
- Vanessa Peoples, Fermi National Laboratory, Chief Financial Officer
- Mark Murphy (ex-officio), Ames Laboratory Chief Operations Officer